• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TI4200 voltmod. Pics!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quailane

I did this volt and cooling mod over the past few days. My dad just bought one of those xt core 9800 pros, so I felt like I was falling behind. This 4200 with stock everything could run up to 270 core and 580 memory, and just equaled my dad's 256MB 9600 in 3dmark 2001, although he is running a barton at 200x11 and me with 180x11, both on nforce2 with 512MB of ram. After the voltmodand extra cooling, I was pretty disappointed with the results. I could run the memory up to only 612, no matter how much voltage I gave it. The ram sinks were getting pretty hot with lots of voltage. having two fans blowing onto the card didn't help overclocking at all though, neither the core nor memory. I got the core to 300 with just the new heatsink and no voltmods, and with extra volts, no matter how much I gave I could not get past 312. Overall, with the old clocks, my comp reached 10500 3dmarks, now it is almost reaching 12000.

A couple pics of my new thermaltake gpu cooler freshly installed. It was lapped to 1500 grit, and so was the core.
DSCN1022.JPG

DSCN1023.JPG

Here is a shot I tried getting of the ram on this card. It is 64MB of 3.5 nanosecond etrontech ram.
DSCN1024.JPG

This pic shows me starting to volt mod the card. Those blue things are 10k ohm 15 turn variable resistors I bought at radioshack.
DSCN1025.JPG

This pic shows the front of my card with the added ram sinks I made out of a k6-2 heatsink.
DSCN1026.JPG

This shows the modding complete to the back of the card.
DSCN1027.JPG

Last edited:
wow, that looks pretty good! nice scores too, too bad you didnt gain a lot from the voltmods (though i dont know what a good estimate is to aim for when voltmodding..) but that thing sure looks nice :D

Hey, thanks Jognt.
312 thats it?, wow my 4200 did 350 on stock cooling, 420 on a passive zalman
Was that an 8x agp version? What brand also?

I have a feeling that this was the crappiest ti4200 EVER made. I bought it refurbished at newegg sometime in january, maybe that has something to do with it.

Nice! My pos 9700 pro died an instant death after voltmodding the ram. Had 2.8ns Etrontech ram also. Too bad the pos ram could'nt take the 0.1v increase :rolleyes:

Nebulous said:
Nice! My pos 9700 pro died an instant death after voltmodding the ram. Had 2.8ns Etrontech ram also. Too bad the pos ram could'nt take the 0.1v increase :rolleyes:

I'm sure something went wrong... even the worst ram doesnt burn out that quick -- otherwise they would have to have perfect voltage filtering. And thats a joke :)

~t0m

Me Albatron 4200 sucked stock, only just managed over Ti4600 speeds, where most people were into the 330/700 range... (mine did 315/650 max benchable) after modding and new cooling it does 357/725 no prbs, with more from the ram/core on a cool day for sure...

Can you post some links where you got the info for this volt mod? What programs you are using, drivers and all that good stuff? I have a friend who wants to do this with his 4200 and he needs some help.

Quailane said:
Hey, thanks Jognt.

I have a feeling that this was the crappiest ti4200 EVER made.

Well I'm here to make you feel better. I have a gawdawful Visiontek Ti4200 128MB and I can get to about 315/520 before 3dmark starts artifacting like crazy. On the other hand I can still get over 13000 with it. I have the same TT hsf as you but the back of the card is still hot to the touch.

Back