• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What *are* artifacts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frylock

Registered
What exactly is the nature of artifacts? I know what they look like and what causes them, but I am curious as to *why* what causes them causes them and why they appear as they do.

-FrL-

Data about polys to be drawn in the core is Corrupted cos of instablities, this curruptions causes vetices or polys to be missed or missdrawn casuing Artfacts

Here let me ask it this way: Why exactly does heat cause instabilities? What exactly are instabilities?

thanks...

-FrL-

Maybe it's kind of like when it's really hot outside, and you don't feel like doing anything. When the GPU gets hot, it's like "fark it, i don't feel like it" so it does everything half-assed.

Well the electrical properties of the materials that make up a CPU or GPU change when the heat increases or decreases, usually resulting in a much higher resistence and much lower reliability. When you have more resistence in a carefully designed processor there is lag on longer "lines" and so data may not reach its final destination at the right time which causes certain pixels to be what they should have been a nanosecond earlier. The problem becomes worse because today's GPUs have extra processing that is done to the image such as AA or AF, which could make one messed up pixel turn into several.

The VRAM is also affected by temperature in the same way, it is trying to run at whatever speed it is set to run at with whatever timings it is set to run at and the GPU tries to access the memory at the speed it is set to run at and with the timings it is set to run at, but when it is overheated or overclocker too far and the GPU tries to acces it and read (or write) whatever data is stored on it (usually just textures and vertices data) the memory may not be able to send the data to the GPU as quickly as the GPU would like to have it and so you get tearing and "point-miscalculations" that look like spikes or triangles all over the screen.

That's about as basic as I can put it while still having it accurate enough to be said...

Chowdy said:
Maybe it's kind of like when it's really hot outside, and you don't feel like doing anything. When the GPU gets hot, it's like "fark it, i don't feel like it" so it does everything half-assed.

LOL thats a funny one. I think if GPUs would do that we would be screwed at some of the lan parties here in California, cuz its hot at some of the lans in the summer.

iwllburnbush, excellent response, very informative, thanks so much!

-Kris

Back