• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird connection problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timothy100

Local area connection 3 disconnected comes up often at random times and all internet connections are lost and cpu usage goes to 100 percent. When it goes up to 100 percent the computer freezes for a few minutes then it goes back to normal... anyone know what is up? what should I try to fix this? I called comcast and they said they didn't know what could be wrong and couldn't do anything over the phone.

Thanks...

I am running Windows 2000 pro. It happens randomly while I am surfing the internet or talking on AIM... all of the sudden it says LAN disconnected and then a few seconds later services.exe takes up 100% cpu for several minutes, during that period my computer is basically frozen.

Found this doing a google search on services.exe
LINK

is your system patched and up to date? It looks like services.exe may be maxing out because it's atempting to stop/start/restart another service. Check your event view Start->Settings-> Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event viewer

are there any strange things in the app or system log? errors involving starting and stopping services?

during that time do you actually loose your connection or does you computer just 'think' its lost?

thanks for looking up that fix, but i tried it and it didn't fix it...

I looked in the event log and theres a bunch of errors and warnings.

The warning says: Your computer was unable to automatically configure the IP parameters for the Network Card with the network address 0050BA603787. The following error occurred during configuration: The parameter is incorrect.

OR

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0050BA603787. The following error occured:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

(the source of the warnings are DHCP)

The error says: Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the Dnscache service.

(the source of the errors are service control manager)

ok try this, download the latest drivers for your network card. Uninstall the network card, reboot and then re-install that network card with those latest drivers.

i tried that, it seems to do it a little less now but it still happens. do you think its most likely something to do with the NIC or NIC drivers? because i can get a new NIC for like $10 so if you think it probably is that, then i will get one.

thanks for all the help

Back