• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Future: 100TB drive coming in near future.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

REL749

I don't know how many people know about this but it's really exciting to me. There will be a 100TB harddrive coming out in 2006 - 2007, that may seem like a long time but it's only around 25 months. Nano-technology is starting to take over everything. Mmmm, 10,000 Gigabytes.

Anyways, they will be able to accomplish this with nano technology (microscopic robots) and data crystals. The cool part is it will be on your standard 3 1/2 inch drive.

These drives will be faster than your average drive, god knows by how far, probably more sturdy and they will likely be a plus all around. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on the net yet about them but I was able to find something. Here's a link that gives a little more information.

If anybody has any other information or links please post. I will try to keep this thread updated if I find anything new.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/storage/display/20040325074606.html

http://www.bifrost.demon.co.uk/games/mortals/Tech/Computers.html

Nano-technology will be taking over everything real soon including you phones, tv's, computers, possible cars, ect. Micro-computers will come out too.

The point of this thread is just to let you know what to expect in the near future. Some people probably don't care. Oh well...

\REL749

You might want to check your second source... ;)

And according to the first source, "Seagate estimates that HAMR technology will be used in disc drive devices initially at 1Tb (terabit) per square inch densities, with a time to market of approximately 2010." The first single-platter drive to use this technology will, going by their calculations, have a capacity of less than 2 TB.

Back