• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Tv Tuner to buy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I am running the Asus 7133 TV/FM and really like it. Not really a high end card, but it works well enough to capture cable o r sat signals my one of myu hds with goot quality.

Go with tha AIW series of cards if you want a good all-around card. Good for graphics, games, and the newer ones have FM as well.

ive had ATI tv tuners and i thought they were crappy. I now have a Leadtek tv tuner (expert 2000) and its great... However I liked the remote that came with the ati cards over this one. Also, the ati cards came with an online tv guide that would upload all the shows, while the service that this leadtek comes with doesnt work in Canada... only the US.

Im happy with this leadtek... I had too many probs with the ati cards...

Everytime I see these threads, I always have to jump in and say "What about TiVo?"

TiVo's are ONLY $100 INSTALLED, WITH a SWITCH, and let you record 2 shows, and watch a 3rd. A TV capture card and the extra HD space needed will surely cost more than $100 IMO, and a cheap one will NOT look good compared to TiVo.

Granted, I would only recommend a Direct TV TiVo for its painless interface and wish lists/season passes (you can record a whole season of Family Guy with one command - I do!). They are NOT easy to network and to extract files, but if you are Linux freindly, it is not too tough (I am not Linux friendly, but I was able to do a 144Hour upgrade easily).

Dedicated hardware has HUGE benefits with PVR functions IMO (versus dual-purposing your PC). I've said it before, and I will say it again - my TiVo does NOT affect what I do on my PC. I can be recording something (2 shows), and running processor/memory intensive applications on the PC without a hitch.

A MUST for folders IMVHO.

Yes - I'm a TiVo fanboy, and PROUD of it :cool:

Last edited:
I must second the TIVO. I personally have never used a TIVO but when watching tv with my Wonder Pro (excellent product-by the way) on my single cpu system, you can't do anything else cpu/memory intensive. I've set up a seperate box just to record tv so I can keep my cpu/memory useage as low as possible.

Anotsu Kagehisa said:
I am mostly going to watch tv, but I would like to record shows like Smallville, Family guy when it comes on again. I want it to be decent quality not grainy. I tried that link cack01 but it doens't work. Thanks guys.

Sorry about that, I guess searches do not stay valid for vey long. Anyways do a seach for "pvr-250". You will get tons of threads on this topic which have pros and cons of many different cards.

In my opinion, If you are going to be watching TV more than recording, than I would get something like an AIW VE (PCI version). If recording is more of a priority, than go for the Hauppauge PVR-250. Hauppauge's program for watching TV is kinda flaky, and can not even compare to ATI's MMC.

I have gotten perfect reception with my TV wonder, devilscow22. It even amazed my friends and cable guy who installed the digital cable box (the quality).

well, it seems like he won't have a tv with him, only his monitor... so i don't think he'll want tivo, anyways it sounds like all he wants to do is just watch tv, so just about any tv-tuner card would work.

I myself use the leadtek 2000xp deluxe, it works great and stuff and i also use it for recording. Although what those tivo fan boys say is true, if you run a dualie, you'll have no problem.

Back