• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Huge boot slow down since new hdd added

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

I just added a Seagate 7200rpm 80gb to my computer. I currently have another hard disk in there.

(IDE 0)
Master - Western Digital 5400rpm 60gb
||
||
||
Slave - Seagate 7200 rpm digital 80gb

I have an Abit NF7-S rev 2. They are both on the same IDE channel using a brand new cable. My problem is, once it get passed the bios and it starts to boot windows, it will hang for like 30 seconds at a black screen, then show the xp logo and boot. This is getting so annoying i tryed a reformat and my problem still goes unsolved :'( Has anyone had this type of problem?

this happened to me with a WD drive. Everything was REALLLLLY slow and then windows wouldnt boot, i had the wrong jumper setting, on the WD drive i just had to take the jumper out completely. check your jumper... if its not that i dunno im only a novice.

maybe you could check your bios IDE settings are set to auto, they could be set up for a slower/older drive...?

On most newer WD drivers, taking the jumper out makes it master/single, when i had it at the top of the ide cable, i had no jumper. I just tryed to put the seagate at the top (master) and the wd at the bottom (slave) and my problem still exists. It was not doing this before i added the new seagate drive, i just unplugged the drive, and booted computer, it worked perfectly. It seems to me that im doing something wrong with the seagate drive. I have an old 8.4gig seagate but since this is a newer one, am i doing something wrong? :bang head <---been up since 4 am trying to get this to work :'(

Back