• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My rig is finally finished!!! (56k warning)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

It_The_Cow

Specs:

Athlon A64 3200+ Newcastle @ stock speeds (for now, no temperature readings yet)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
2x512MB A-Data PC4200
Matrox Millenium G400 (Whooo!)
74GB WD Raptor, 120GB Maxtor Diamond Plus 9
Plextor "Premium" CD-RW, Sony DDU1612 DVD-ROM
PCP&C 510D
BIX, MCP600, MCW6002

P8160113.JPG

P8160114.JPG

P8160115.JPG

P8160116.JPG

All the 80mm fans are Panaflo L1A's running at 7v. The Evercools on the radiator are running at 5v. Strangely enough, the pump is the loudest component. It stands out a lot amongst the near silent fans. I'm hoping it will quite down after breaking in.

Edit: Numbers just in.

Idle - 40° Case, 41° CPU
Load (Prime95) - 46° Case, 56° CPU

Calculated CPU wattage - 98.12 W
Calculated °C/W - 0.1019

At stock speeds, my chip puts out 89 W. Overclock to 2.5GHz (9.5 x 264, 1.575v), it puts out about 98.12 W.

I personally think the numbers are pretty nice considering my setup. All my Panaflo case fans run at 7v, and my rad's fans run at 5v. The temperatures themselves are high, but the °C/W is quite low. Stability is good as well. The only problems I get are video card driver-related.

Last edited:
Looks great... very clean and just cool looking. What case is that? Thinking about going to liquid cooling soon, and trying to get an idea as far as cases go.

Again, well done. I give you an A :)

Odie

Obsessive compulsive maniac! That neatly folded optical drive IDE cable is too much!
Seriously though, it looks real nice.

My mcp600 is the loudest thing in my system, too. I've read of people that can't hear it unless they put their ear right up to it. I've had mine for a couple of months and it's still pretty loud. Am I crazy or do these people need to take their headphones off?

Lookin good, might want to try sitting the pump on a foam pad or something to quiet it a bit?

Looks very nice, but I am betting the noise you are hearing, is the pumps vibration. Set it on something think and watch your noise go away ;)

teamgreen said:
Obsessive compulsive maniac! That neatly folded optical drive IDE cable is too much!
Heh. If only you could see this thing in person. There's a lot of small details that probably can't be seen. EVERY wire in this thing has been sleeved. You should see the wiring behind the radiator and the box that controls the fan's voltages.

As for the pump, it's sitting on the stock neoprene pad that Swiftech provided. Even if try to muffle the pump with my hands, it's still very audible.

i like your computer...you should see mine...not! (wire covered mess on the table, case is under contruction)

it is very clean, though. sorry to hear about the loud pump, i'm going liquid for noise...i hate it. just the sould of a standard 7200 rmp hard drive will keep me up all night.

I'm sorry you were duped by claims of quietness. Been there done that to the tune of $800 in just pumps.

If you want silent there is only two pumps out there Eheim 1048 and 1046 worth considering, then only after impellor modification and suspension are the silent. even the 1250 is way too loud.

Have you modded the PCP&C for silence? You must have because those things are screamers! :)

I'm really hoping the pump will quiet down after breaking in for a while. "Quiet" is such a relative term. As for the 510D, it now has a Panaflo in it as well. It's thermally throttled by the PSU, but it's still very quiet. The exhaust is very warm, though.

The t-line is capped with this and a barbed fitting that I found at a local hardware store. I'm afraid I can't find it on Mcmaster. I'm hoping to try to cut the plug so that it screws in flush with the barb.

The case is a LL PC-61. I'm not a very big fan of side windows, so I opted not to get the PC-65B. Also, yes the 3.5" bay has been cut. I was originally led to believe that BIX's would fit under the space with no modification needed, but it doesn't (perhaps a newer revision of the rads?). It works out well though. It gives me space for a push/pull setup, which is probably needed in my setup since the fans are so undervolted.

It_The_Cow said:
The case is a LL PC-61. I'm not a very big fan of side windows, so I opted not to get the PC-65B. Also, yes the 3.5" bay has been cut. I was originally led to believe that BIX's would fit under the space with no modification needed, but it doesn't (perhaps a newer revision of the rads?). It works out well though. It gives me space for a push/pull setup, which is probably needed in my setup since the fans are so undervolted.

I have the same case, but Silver in color.. I also thought my D-tek 120Jr could fit under the 3.5" bay, but i'm not able to take the hdd cage mounting thingy where case speaker lies. how did you clear space for your rad? It seems the mount is permanently screwerd :(

Cutting the Floppy drive bay is a great idea.. I i'll give it a shot ;)

thanks!

EDIT: About the Evercool Al fans, how good are they? I'm using a high speed Pana Flo 120mm right now and its damn loud/thick(size).

EDIT 2: how do you mount 3.5" Hard drives in 5.2" bays? I have two Raptors in raid0 and one 40gb maxtor.

Last edited:
ntrsfrml said:
I have the same case, but Silver in color.. I also thought my D-tek 120Jr could fit under the 3.5" bay, but i'm not able to take the hdd cage mounting thingy where case speaker lies. how did you clear space for your rad? It seems the mount is permanently screwerd :(

Cutting the Floppy drive bay is a great idea.. I i'll give it a shot ;)
The HDD cage mount is riveted to the case, just drill out the four rivets with the right drill size...

@ It_The_Cow: Very nice setup! :thup:

CD :)

Back