Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool
Forum Jump

DIY Arctic Silver Adhesive.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 06:27 PM Thread Starter   #1
ZachM

[Question] DIY Arctic Silver Adhesive.

Hellos. Well I'm doing a overhaul of my comp right now, and I'm wanting to stick on a bunch of little heatsinks all over my mobo. The thing is that I don't have the money, and I don't want to wait for any real AS adhesive. I read something over at Xtremesystems about mixing epoxy and normal Arctic Silver to make DIY AS adhesive. Has anyone tried this? I mixed some up on a scrap piece of metal. It was about 1/3 Devcon Two Ton epoxy to 2/3 AS3. After it dried I held a lighter to the other side of the metal. The epoxy/paste got hot quickly. I stuck a piece of metal with the epoxy mix onto an old modem chip. The adhesive bond was strong enough for holding a heatsink on. I removed the sink and residue with minimal effort. The thing is, I couldn't test how well it conducted heat between the metal and the chip.

Does anyone know if it would make a good thermal bond between a heatsink and a chip? I know about the four coners method, but that would be very difficult on some of the smaller chips. The glue in the corners would seep over, and eventually cover the whole chip.

Old 08-17-04, 03:34 AM   #2
Phextwin

Dont bother mixing it. Just put a dot of superglue in each corner of the thing you want to stick the sink onto, and a wad of goo in the middle.
Phextwin is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-04, 03:41 AM   #3
Mr.über
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phextwin
Dont bother mixing it. Just put a dot of superglue in each corner of the thing you want to stick the sink onto, and a wad of goo in the middle.
I did that on my NB because the thermal tape got screwed up and it works great a buck for the super glue and some thermal paste will do the job
Mr.über is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-04, 05:17 AM   #4
envy

yeah id just go with superglue. but where are you going to be sticking them? If they're going on places where there arent any heatsinks at the moment then you neednt worry...anything will be better than whats on them now
envy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-04, 11:10 AM   #5
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Tasterİ

10 Year Badge

I had a little extra Arctic Silver Adhesive laying around and will send him some

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-17-04, 02:44 PM Thread Starter   #6
ZachM

You are a god, SSS.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Cooling
Cooling Discussion of fans, heatsinks, thermal pastes and putting it all together to keep your rig cool