• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid 0 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnfs

Registered
does anyone use raid array if so how stable is it and how do you like it
thanks for any input
thinking of trying raid

asusa7n8xdel 120gb sata 60gb ide 3000xpoc3200 1gbddr400gforcefx 5900
soundblaster aud gamer sata is 120 seagate barracuda 60gb is wd

I wouldn't be surprised if 1/3 of the people around here use RAID in one form or another. I have RAID0 arrays on 3 of my 5 systems. It's as stable as one drive, though there is a theoretically higher risk of data loss because if any of the drives in your RAID0 array fail it's likely all the data will be lost.

Raid-0 is essentally one drive according to the system, it just splits up the data so that information is equally distributed over all the drives on the RAID. RAID-0 is mainly for gamers or people that read-write to their harddrives often and need as much speed in the read-write time as possible.

If you're looking for stability, RAID-5 is the king, looking for speed? RAID-0 is what you're looking for.

Create an array with your controller's software then format that or have setup do it for you. Whatever information is on either drive when it's set up as an array will be lost at that time.

Back