• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do YOU clean your LCD monitor screen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lord_Zoltan

IM SO proud of my lcd screen which i just bought.
Took a while to save up but now tha ti have it i want to PRESERVE IT.

If i get a finger print on this screen or anything how do i clean it properly. I hear you can damage the screen by pressing to hard, prolly true , is it?

Thanks

Zoltan

I have a Samsung 710T and it's my baby. Anyway, I don't want to use solvents or any other sort of cleaner. then one day one of my stupid friends somehow laughed outloud and spit a drop or two of what appeared to be sticky soda onto the screen. (the idiot said it was water) OMg omg what to do!!! Water and my Tshirt didn't help much at all so I used what I tried as soon as I got the screen. microfiber!!!!!! I have a tiny piece that came with my Bolle sunglasses and it works better than cotton could ever hope to.

DaMobster said:
does the same recommendations go for CRT cleaning or is that different?

This monitor cleaning stuff came with the Canned air I bought from staples and it was basically windex for monitors, and it had a soft cleaning towel thing that looks like a glasses wipe thingy.

violineb said:
I have a tiny piece that came with my Bolle sunglasses and it works better than cotton could ever hope to.
:attn: :attn: :attn:
Bolle's rock :D. My dad works for bushnell and they own Bolle.

Ive just always cleaned my screen with water and a soft cloth.

Now that I think of it I dont think I ever have cleaned this thing, but then again I am trying to RMA it so whatever. I think the alchohol works, at least thats what my company uses to clean theirs.

Why not Windex? That's I've used on CRT's, TV's, etc.

I'd spray it on a rag as to not have windex get in little cracks between the display and casing.

I use Windex, it works wonders and its streak and ammonia free :clap:

Edit: It works good, spray small amount on cloth, wipe, its clean. This is espcially good if you have little fingers touching the screen all the time.

Last edited:
Windex on LCDs? At the most i would use diluted Vinegar, but most of the time i use just a damp cloth. Also never apply the liquid directly to the monitor.

KnowlesTech said:
I use Windex, it works wonders and its streak and ammonia free :clap:

Edit: It works good, spray small amount on cloth, wipe, its clean. This is espcially good if you have little fingers touching the screen all the time.

So is it absolutelly OK to use Windex on LCD's?

I have 1 LCD atm and 1 Laptop and somebody always has to show me with their finger on the screen something... so fingerprints always appear :(.

Thanks!

LogRus said:
So is it absolutelly OK to use Windex on LCD's?

I have 1 LCD atm and 1 Laptop and somebody always has to show me with their finger on the screen something... so fingerprints always appear :(.

Thanks!

My Samsung manual says: "Disconnect the power cord and then clean the monitor with a soft cloth using a small amount of either cleaning solution or plain water. Do not leave the remains of detergent nor scratch the case. Do not allow water to go inside the monitor. Don't scrub the monitor surface or apply to much pressure to the screen during cleaning. If excessive force is used the screen may be permanently marked."

So it seems windex is fine.

Last edited:
i just use water and a lint free cloth. but make sure u dnt clean it while its on otherwise u will damge the pixels

Back