• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virutal Battlefields Systems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

unwrittenLaw

Is anyone shelling out the $150 for this new 'simulator' game that is used by various military units/government agencies? It looks really good and is developed by the same company who did Operation Flashpoint (very good game). I downloaded the trailer and it looks spectacular. Only drawback is the price, and that is just for the 'core' engine. For added units, add ons, etc...you have to pay $50, and I think right now there are like 9-10 packages to add to the core engine. That's a little steep, but it is supposed to be the most realistic, best looking war game out there. Just wondering if anyone has this and if its worth the money.

unwrittenLaw said:
Is anyone shelling out the $150 for this new 'simulator' game that is used by various military units/government agencies? It looks really good and is developed by the same company who did Operation Flashpoint (very good game). I downloaded the trailer and it looks spectacular. Only drawback is the price, and that is just for the 'core' engine. For added units, add ons, etc...you have to pay $50, and I think right now there are like 9-10 packages to add to the core engine. That's a little steep, but it is supposed to be the most realistic, best looking war game out there. Just wondering if anyone has this and if its worth the money.

its not a game.. it a training device, its real...

theELVISCERATOR said:
its not a game.. it a training device, its real...

So I guess running through medical packs on the floor doesn't automatically heal you huh? :rolleyes:

I still think it would be kick ***. They got simulators for plans and cars, now how about war? Lol. Would probably be really hard too, but I think thats part of the fun if you are into war stuff that is.

Well its being advertised as a something that anyone can buy. Except certain modules are not allowed to be purchased that are specific to military units like the USMC...

I read the faq, and it looks like it won't really be suitable for mainstream/online gaming..but it still looks cool.

unwrittenLaw was killed.

Jumping around with a nade again? :cool:.

This is just Operation Flashpoint with very good modified AddOns. It looks like it from the pictures provided to say the least ;).

Look: http://www.roughnecks.org/specop/ResistanceTrailer.WMV

This is OFP Trailer SpecOp9 made using his Sony Vaio P4 1.6ghz, 512mb ram and radeon 9000 video card of his, which makes the video choppy, but still nice to watch.

Its got some high system requirements too.

We recommend running VBS1 on:

· Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, or XP
· DirectX 8
· 2 GHz Pentium 4 (or better)
· 512 MB RAM
· 3D graphics card with 128MB Ram
· 16-Bit Direct Sound Compliant Sound Card
· 24x CD-ROM Drive
· 700 MB Hard Drive space

*Wireless not recommended when AAR is being used (greater bandwidth needed for data collection)

I promise to keep this short...

Why play a simulation war game when you could easily sign into the Army and experience the real thing? You want as real as possible...but you don't want to actually -do- something about it?

My grandfather was injured in WWII, experienced flashbacks and horrific memories of the things he had to do to survive... This is my primary reason for my personal "boycott" on war games. I personally, don't feel that I should be gaining "entertainment value" from his horrific experiences, and of those that died for their cause.

[/rant]

My apologies, feel free to agree/disagree, I won't say anything more about the subject.

True when you think about it, it is quite sad that companies are making huge amounts of money because they recreate horrible REAL situations that happened and many people died for. Like ww2 franchises and especially Vietnam franchises. I'd love to show my great uncle battlefield vietnam and ask him if the maps really did look like that or if the guns sound real, but I know, it wouldn't be right at all, and alot of peopel died and no one wanted to be in that war, but there I am, nightly playing and having a ball.

It's just something in human nature, to want to be somewhere, but not really be there.

You DO know that "Virutal Battlefields Systems" (VBS) was created to train army soldiers... don't you? This way they will be more "polished" once they'll eventualy have to go to fight but they'd learn on their mistakes made in a "close to reality" envoirments. And I think it's better then go out there and die just because you weren't trained enough. Don't get me wrong here! If it'd be for me, I wouldn't want all these wars in the first place :rolleyes:

gravitywell said:
I promise to keep this short...

Why play a simulation war game when you could easily sign into the Army and experience the real thing? You want as real as possible...but you don't want to actually -do- something about it?

Why? Well, if it's for the army, then I've talked about that above, but if about games for anybody else, then it's like a "Demo" for something that you can later try later for real. Don't you want to feel HOW is it first before you go out there and give your life away? That's just from my point of view. :)

As for all those WWII games and all, companies want money, and that's one of the easy ways to get them since so many people want them.

Last edited:
Been gone for a month and a half and before dissappearing I remember replying to a thread like this one. Major deju vu!

Anyways, if I remember right, Operation Flashpoint 2 is pretty much VBS downsized massively. Look at the trailers for both of them and it's easy to see they're alot alike.

Yeah OFP2 will be cool, when it finally comes out...just taking awhile. I still play OFP alot, but it is getting plagued by hacking and cheating, and then the onslaught of cheating accusations while playing online. It's really ruining the multiplayer OFP community..

Back