• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CM Stacker Case Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MiNdWaRp

I'd just like to counter a few of the cons mentioned in the article

Overclockers.com said:
Cons:

* Large side vent will not contain the noise of louder CPU fans
* No way to mount floppy drive without hard drive adapter
* Large and heavy
* Aluminum scratches easily
* Fans included are low CFM

As far as the floppy drive goes, CM has developed a rack that fits into the 5.25" bay so you don't have to take the fan out of the 4-in-3 device. anyone that wants one can post here and they'll get it to you.

I don't much care for the aluminum either, I'm holding out for them to release the one with the black side panels, which was shown on most online vendors pre-release... then the stackers started showing up with aluminum sides :(
If you would buy a black stacker, Let Coolermaster know!

argh

well i own a cm stacker:)

the one argument - it is too heavy - what do you expect for a server / high end workstation case! build it in all aluminum and watch it collapose because of it's sheer size!

no one seems to mention the thing does have wheels you can place on the bottom - also - how often does one plan to lift up their case and move it - with this case i have dual 400w Fortrons in it 2 hard drives / cdrom and i can lift it easily - i know most geeks are not overly strong but it is not as heavy as they make it out to be (then again i am 6'4 and 220lbs :D)

as for the removal of the front intakes - yes they can be hard - but once you do it once - it is easier everytime and once you get one out it is easy. The panels are a tight fit and i like that instead of loose flimsy things they fit snug, so it takes a little extra push to snap the teeth out to slide them out. And again - how often are people putting in floppy / cdrom drives? for how in-frequent most people do this also should not be an CON issue.

As for the side intake - it is not ment to dampent noise - it is meant to provide air flow so you dont need a fast loud CPU cooler - a loud CPU cooler will be heard in any case so to me that is a lame con point. I got a thermaltake volcano in my case - i also got the dampening material and put it in the case and my other computer with no side panel intake is louder!!!! then my stacker! that was before i put the dampening material on the side panel!!!!

As for the panel - the side panel's are smooth and are not shiney - news flash - All aluminum scratches easily - the side panel's do seem to be more of a "soft" burshed aluminum alloy but i am rought with my cases and thus far mine has no marks and because it is not a smooth shiney surface - it would be harder to see any scracthes you may give it.

My biggest Con - they are offering the side panel with a window and the mobo cooler but they are not out yet so now if i want the windowed side panel - i got to buy it and have an extra side panel lying around - to me that is the only CON about this case i can see.

MiNdWaRp said:
I don't much care for the aluminum either, I'm holding out for them to release the one with the black side panels, which was shown on most online vendors pre-release... then the stackers started showing up with aluminum sides :(
If you would buy a black stacker, Let Coolermaster know!

I have the CM Stacker. The fact it came silver annoyed me. Its not smooth and has a textured look to it. I wrote over at the forum to ask what the deal was. They said it was a prototype. Grrr. If its a prototype they shouldn't have posted that pic on the webpage AND on the box as THAT model. Esp when they don't even offer the black one.

The faceplate bezels are incredibly difficult to remove. To the point its painful. I figure once I get a few 4 in 3 modules in they will be near impossible to remove. I scratched up the inside of the case alittle and hurt my fingers trying to get those out. I am thinking about removing the quick connect snaps on the sides. It would APPEAR that there are slots that you could push in with a flat screwdriver to remove the bezel but are inaccessible when those snaps are on. They have to be removed when the case is empty if you are thinking of doing the same thing.

I didn't try out any of the fans yet. I didn't know they were just low cfms. I will get a few Sanyos to replace em. Its going to be a server PC anyway away from sleeping areas so noise isn't too much an issue.

Weight isn't an issue for me. I don't pick up my case often enough to worry about it. Once or twice a year if that. I think the weight said it was only around 40 pounds.

JT

Back