• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LFS Package handler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DreamingWolf

Wheel Walker
Does anyone out there know which if any package handler Linux From Scratch uses? Or can you choose to compile whichever one you wish?

I was surfing a few pages from their site but couldn't find the info.

Thanks,

DWolf:cool:

LFS doesn't use a packaging system. You could compile rpm or apt on it, but you wouldn't be able to use many packages from other distros.

The point of LFS is to do it yourself. If you want LFS with packages and automation, use Gentoo.

That's what makes it so manly; it doesn't have one. I bought a LFS book before I knew better, and while it's quite well-documented, there's a very labor-intensive (or [./configure && make && make install]-intensive) process to get a system installed and working.
People may throw money and roses at you when you tell them you maintain a working LFS installation, but I don't see any reason (other than learning how Linux works) to take on such a project. It'd be easy to have the most up-to-date version of a few packages, but after that it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

I should have realized the 'compile everything' part, DUH.

Thanks for the info. One more question though and I'd rather do it here than start a new vs. thread. Which would you rather use apt or portage?

DWolf:cool:

Gentoo with portage will yield a faster running system in the end vs. debian with it's prebuilt binaries. That assumes you build the system from stage one and compile everything from scratch. Basically the same thing as lfs just more automated :)

All other factors (eg init scripts, what's started by default, package availability) magically being equal, I'd pick apt unless I had somewhat high-end system. Portage is great, but I'm not patient enough for all the compiling, and apt very seldom has any problems.

Back