• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bigpackets=no a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Would setting bigpackets to NO be a good idea? I mean it uses about 1/3 of the memory... and the current work unit I have is due in late October!

I have a AMD... overclocks to about 2.6ghz... what do you think? Think I will end up with more points or less points this way?

When it says things like...
[11:41:18] - Will indicate memory of 511 MB.
Does that mean it will set aside 511MB of memory for it? If so.. then I know why I was running out of system resources so fast :p

I think that means it will tell stanford's server that that's how much ram you have. Then it can decide to give you a big packet or not. I don't have any idea why it says 511MB intead of 512, but it does that for me too.

-Andy

I have a gig (1024) of ram. When my page file started to hit around 500MB things woulden't open... now that i'm running with bigpackets off... I can go all the way up to 1000MB page file and i'm fine.

The big packets will use more RAM. Although points wise I think will depend more on how long the test machine takes to process them. It will be the usual sort of time to process : points ratio.

er, would it be a bad idea to set bigpackets on machines at my work? they all have a gb of ram, but only run 6 hours a day m-f....(3 ghz p4's with 2 clients)

I think its too early to run this stuf on "work" machines. There are reports of memory failures and huge page files because of the BP wu's. Run it on your own stuff and do some playing around for yourself before just so you dont run into problems. TIs one thing to have performance issues with a home rig, its quite another to have it hapen on a work rig. Could you imagine both clients of a P4 running a BP protien :eek:

well, figure they use 400 mb's of ram, 'n the person opens word, ^_~ whats the worst, they open outlook....eh, we'll see. when I get a single complaint I'll take it off, it's only on one machine

btw, is client 5 'n these proteins optimized for sse3?

Back