• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64, Heatsink pulls CPU out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilyin

I've yet to remove a heatsink off an A64 chip without it pulling the cpu right out of the socket with the lock on. Hasn't done any damage yet, but it'd be nice if they put the socket lever where you can release it with the heatsink on. It's happened with a small amount of AS5, and it's happened removing the stock heatsink with the goop pad that came on it.

How do you remove the heatsinks without yanking the processor out with it?

First of all, take off that bandaid they call heat transfer material and get something like arctic silver in there. Also, have you held the lever down while taking out the heatsink?

Cheator said:
First of all, take off that bandaid they call heat transfer material and get something like arctic silver in there. Also, have you held the lever down while taking out the heatsink?

I'm using Arctic Silver 5. I already said that. It doesn't matter. I can't hold the lever down because the heatsink is in the way. Why would I want to hold it down anyway? If anything, I'd want to release it so I'm not pulling a CPU out of a locked socket.

This has happened to me before. I try to twist the heatsink this way that way until it comes loose.

Wow I thought I was the only one. The TIM on the stock retail heatsink really glues itself on. I pulled a new 3000+ out of a locked socket only after being used a couple days..

BTW the TIM on the retail heatsinks is actually damn good stuff, Shin Etsu IIRC.

Back