• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling Setup --- Need Input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

artemis0007

Registered
Hello People!
I am planning on putting in a water cooling system, and I have done quite a bit of research (mostly from the articles here). So I devised a water cooling scheme that I would like to implement, but I also wanted a lot of input.
The victim will be a YY-0221 Mini server cube, but I have very limited space (darn that raid). So the following is what I propose to do.
Note: the diagrams are NOT to scale.

Its hard to tell from your diagram... but.. are you using a remote system? As in.. your pump/radiator won't be located inside your computer case?

If so.. that is how my system is devised. If you decide to go that way I would highly recommend using non-spill couplers between the two halves. When I built mine I used the couplers just as a demonstration for my managers.. but, since then I don't know how I would get along without the couplers. They are extremely convenient. You can inquire about them at a Parker reseller. They are 'Non-Spill Quick Couplings'. The specific ones that i use are stainless steel.. but we also make them in anodized aluminum (actually.. also out of regular steel.. but, you don't want those). Make sure you let them know you're using glycol as that requires a specific type of seal.

James

p.s. If you don't have luck finding couplers.. let me know and I'll assist more.

thanks for the idea about the couplers!

Well, practically the entire water cooling system will fit in a steel box/tray that will be bolted to the bottom of the case. It would have the same length and width dimensions of the case (more or less 17.3" L x 13.4" W), but the height would be about 6". I will use nuts for the bolts so I can detach the bottom when needed.

I was planning to use the Swiftech radiators, EHEIM inline pumps, the chiller from www.overclock-watercool.com, and a home made reservoir. I'm unsure about the peltiers between the chiller blocks. I was thinking about using three 50W - 80W pelts.

I hope that clarified the situation a little more!

Here is a picture of my setup... sounds similar to what you are thinking of..

Note the couplers attaching the 2 pieces. Also.. ignore the blue hose and the aluminum reservoir as they are both gone from the system now...

James

more clarification

Here's some more clarification (because I sometimes forget that not everyone can read my thoughts). Okay so it goes:

I have a chiller which consists of two large waterblocks with 3 peltiers sandwiched in between them. The cold side of the chiller is connected to the CPU waterblock loop. The idea is that the peltiers will cool the water in one of the chiller water blocks really fast, so the CPU will more or less always get cold water.

As for the other side of the chiller (hot side), it needs an entirely weparate water cooling system to vent all of that heat. This is partially accomplished by the fan in front of the hot side, but the bulk is done by the hot side cooling system. I have the hot water go to 2 10" x 5" radiators with 2 120mm fans each hooked in parallel. Afterwards, the water will recombine in the reservoir (to have a place for air bubbles to go and for some cooling by the intake fan in front of the reservoir). Then the water goes back to the hot side of the chiller.

The dotted lines represent a fan duct for the power supply and one of the radiators. This is just a possibility. The pumps are inline because they reduce the water's temp by a degree or two (every little bit helps).

Chances are that this setup will be very noisy (with all of the fans blowing like mad).

I hope that this clarified the design more! I hope to hear more replies!

yeah, actually that is similar to what I was thinking about. Except that my connecting tubes won't go through the floor of the case. The tubing will go into the case from the back. Thanks for posting the pic!

Since the picture I have added neon lighting and flourescent dye to the water. I've also added a window and done a few other minor mods.

The only reason I mentioned this was in case you wanted to consider Lexan for your box rather than steel. The advantage of Lexan is that you can mount a light inside and get a little more 'flash' out of it ;)

James

Its made from 3/8" Lexan.. and it could support a 40Lb case with a 300lb man standing on top of it :). Its very strong.. heh

James

add:

Also, I don't use bolts or such to attach it. Gravity does the trick. WHen I want to disconnect.. its just a matter of disconnecting the fan wires (fan bus in the back of my case now.. not pictured) and disconnect the two non-spill quick couplers and lift off the case.

DO you know where I can get some? And can it be molded (uhh, shaped) into whatever size I need?

Well, I was partial to bolting the thing on because originally I was going to use steel which is very heavy. I'm also a little paranoid about the thing falling off when transporting to a lan party and the bolts give me that piece of mind. Speaking of which, is that Lexan drillable as well?

Thanks!

Lexan is definitely drillable :). My case is a mesh of pins holding the thing together. No screws needed.. heh.

I have seen Lexan molded but, I have no idea how they did it. Probably special machines setup for that purpose. You should be able to purchase it at a local glass/plexiglass supplier. Keep in mind that Lexan is DIFFERENT than Acrylic. The two look similar.. but.. Lexan is much stronger, scratch resistant, easier to machine, and expensive.

James

p.s. Also, as far as moving the system.. mine moves in 2 pieces. The computer case is moved separately from the Lexan box. That demonstrates the usefulness of having non-spill quick disconnects. Makes it much easier to move around.. and totally negates any need for having it bolted together.

Naeleros, p.s. If you don't have luck finding couplers.. let me know and I'll assist more.
I am very interested in these couplers, but I can't find them in Belgium :( Are they available in Belgium? Or should I look for a place where I can order them online

Thanks for the ideas about the water system case! Well, I think that's about settled. How about some input about the water cooling system itself. Do you think that the system will be able to cool off a moderately overclocked CPU?

About the couplers in Belgium... I have no idea. Sorry bud.

Back