• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drilling Rivets, question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kilyin

When you drill out a rivet, do you drill through the wide head or do you drill through the other side? I wasn't having much luck with either method. I ended up drilling the guts of the rivet out, but the rivet still wouldn't come out. Gonna have to take the dremel to it.

Take a flat head screw driver and a hammer. Lay the head of the screwdriver up against the top of the rivet (The bigger end) and hit the handle of the screwdriver with the hammer a few times. Much cleaner then sending shaving of metal everywhere.

Personally, I just take the drill, use a small bit to go through the side with the hole, then just increase in gauge until it pops out.

Use a drill bit that is the same size as the hole and drill from the "wide" side of the rivit. The hammer & chisel method will work if your case metal is thick enough and they used aluminum rivits. If steel rivits were used or you have a thin metal case it will bend/dent it up.

wow, i just use a drill bit slightly larger than 1/8" and cram it in htere. havnt had a problem yet, but i've only drilled 5 or 6.

Just use a drillbit the same size as the hole and drill the fat side. Drill untill it pops out the other side. I took every rivet out of my case in about 5 min doing this. They will pop out very easy. You are not drilling far enough in and that is why the top is stuck on there.

I generally use a 1/4" drill and go from the "head" side until the head spins off.
Then, using nippers, grab the back side and pull it free.

DeViL_909 said:
Just use a drillbit the same size as the hole and drill the fat side. Drill untill it pops out the other side. I took every rivet out of my case in about 5 min doing this. They will pop out very easy. You are not drilling far enough in and that is why the top is stuck on there.

I was actually drilling all the way through... maybe I was just using too small of a bit. Thanks for the responses.

Back