• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funbags Water cooling Mess, err Project Journal - Journey of a Newb to WC his PC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Funbags

Funbags Water cooling Mess, err Project Journal - Journey of a Newb to WC his PC.

Hello all,

I figured I would start a little journal of my Water cooling project.

Over the past three days the parts have been flowing in (I love fedex) and I have taken a few trips to Home Depot and Autozone.

What i am working with:

DD 6800 Waterblock
DD RDX AMD 64 Waterblock
D4 Pump
Bonniville Core w/AC - Fedco 2-302
Primoflex Tubing
Watter Wetter

New Chieftec Dragon MidTower
OCZ 520 Power Supply
AMD 3500 939
Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
OCZ 3700 EB
DVD/CD Burner
160 GB and 120 GB HD's

What I got at home depot:

Lots of clamps
Plexi Glass - for shroud
Epoxy
Some type of Weather stripping
Screws
Sandpaper
T-Fitting and Stopper for T-Line

Epoxy

Below is what came today

case1.jpg

What I did today was saw off the bends in the Bonnie Core to get them ready. Sanded off any ruff burrs, and made it easier to slip the tubes on.

core1.jpg

Tonight I am measuring out the shroud to make cuts, I am doing a external mount that will sit on top of the PC for now (maybe later on, I will mount off the back) I am going to attemp to make the shroud out of Plexi for now. It will have two 120 fans pulling air thru.

5 120 Panaflow fans arriving tomorrow via UPS.. (got them for 3.99 each) I was thinking of doing 4 fans to make a Push Pull, but after reading that it wasnt that much better (unless you guys think so??) I wasnt going to do it.

As always suggestions/comments appreciated.

Cool. Should be a nice system :)

On a side note, where on Long Island are you? I'm in a little town in Suffolk on the North Shore, right by the Sound :)

Ariste said:
Cool. Should be a nice system :)

On a side note, where on Long Island are you? I'm in a little town in Suffolk on the North Shore, right by the Sound :)

Greenvale, Right next to Roslyn in Nassau County.

Day 2

Day 2

What did I do today....

Starting making the shroud, prepped the rad, and prepped the case.

Pic below is the cutting of the plexiglass for the shroud.. I descided to try and use a router, not the cleanest of cuts, but it works good.

shroud1.jpg

I cut out the basic base of the shroud, nothing fancy, because I dont know what the hell I am doing...

I used a epoxy that sets in 60 seconds, more like friggin 15 seconds and this stuff gets hard.. Next time I would buy stuff that takes longer to get so I dont have to rush!

shroud2.jpg

Next up was trying to layout the cuts for the two 120MM fans that will sit on top of the shroud pulling air through. The fans came in this afternoon via UPS... and I descided not to reinvent the wheel so I searched google for a template for 120mm fans.. And bam like the third link was to http://www.hitechmods.com/ They had a PERFECT template, all I did was print it and it matched up to my fans.. So I used them.

the url for the template is : http://www.hitechmods.com/images/diagrams/fans/120mm-Fan-1.jpg

shroud3.jpg

Next up was cutting the holes.. Oh yea I used clear tape, and taped the crap out of the paper templates to the plexi to prevent them from moving.

I used some bit I had lying around to start the holes in the middle so the router would slip in perfectly...

shroud4.jpg

Ok.. Now on to cutting the holes for the fans with the templates...

With a router the KEY is to do a little at a time, expecially with the holes, Mine came out all wacky, but a little sand paper and it worked out sweet!

shroud5.jpg

Ohhh Yea before you go ahead and cut out the holes be sure to drill your holes for the mounts of the fan.. I started to cut then I stopped to do that...

I also ran out to home depot and grabbed some Silicone Goop to line the inside edges with after the epoxy dried to ensure that no air will leak out.

I think the actuall name of the product was goop, it was a mix of a glue and a sealent.. So thats a bonus.

And the almost end result ->

shroud6.jpg

As far as the measurements .. I just layed the rad on top of a peice of paper and traced it, then cleaned it up with a ruler and a marker. Made my first two cuts of the long sides of the shroud, then meaured it out so the two smalled ends would fit inside.

Used course sandpaper to get all the filings off from the router, then smoothed it off with 300 grit. Washed it off in the sink, pealed the plastic off, then went ahead and started to epoxy.

After the epoxy dried, about hrmm 8 hours later I picked up some spray paint and went to work on the rad (gave it a light coat on the sides mainly, tried to avoid the fins) and also to the my shroud. I was considering leaving the shroud clear but, after some scratches and epoxy stuff I descided to paint it..

I masking taped the ends of the rad where the tubing will clamp on btw.

shroud7.jpg

Next I started to work on the case.. I have the Chieftec dragon mid-tower case, and I wanted to go ahead and get a 120mm fan in the front for air flow.
I took out the wizzer and went to work. I may mount a 80mm fan below the 120 for additional airflow in the front. I also drilled out the lower HD 3.5 cage so I can fit this in there. Again I used the template for the cutting.

I gutted the case somewhat first to make it easier..

case2.jpg

Tomorrow I think I will add another 120 to the side or the top, depending upon where I end up moutning the rad, its either going to sit on top of the case, or mounted off the back of the case (both external). I did pick up some small moutning brackets from HD today incause I descide to do that. Now.. Off to bed! I am beat.

about how much did that plexi cost i have to replace my duct tape shroud on my dual hc sometime soon

lithker said:
about how much did that plexi cost i have to replace my duct tape shroud on my dual hc sometime soon

I went with the 1/4 inch thick plexi so its a bit more expenive, at 1st I bought the thin one, .93 or some crap, then I said wtf am I doing, this is way to thin.

I think it was less then 20 bux for a 24x24 sheet. which is way to much, but great if you make mistakes like me.

Back