• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Harddrive setup question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goretex

To keep a long story short, my harddrive just fried recently and I lost 160gb of data. After reading this forum I learned about the possibilities of RAID and how you can use one HD for the OS and one for storage as this would be safer if a HD died. Since I already ordered an 160gb EIDE seagate HD would it be possible if I combined that HD with a single 36/74gb raptor? Making the 36/74gb Raptor for OS and the 160gb HD for storage. Would this setup be faster than having only the 160gb HD by itself for the computer?

RAID turns more hard drives into less hard drives but gives safer data (exception is RAID 0). For RAID to work the HDD's will all be set to the same size so if you use a 160GB and a 20GB you get at best 40GB in RAID 0. RAID will also sync all the drive to the highest speed that all the drives can use, so your 10K RPM raptor will act like a 7200RPM drive. As for using your raptor for your OS and your 160 for storage, that is the way to go in your case. It should give you a good boost in the response of your system assuming you keep it clean.

Back