• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.53 vcore max...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seabee

Ok, first of all I know that going above 1.75 vcore is bad. But, I have a backup P4 2.0(both northwoods) on hand. For, lets say 3 months, what would be the highest vcore I would want to run?

I ask this because my mobo seems to overvolt, I set it at 1.500(stock) and mobo reports 1.56, MBM 5 1.58 and so does CPU-Z. I set the vcore at 1.75(reported 1.79) and cant hit 2.85ghz. I know it is not the memory, done all the tests for that. The CPU did 2.85 at 1.65vcore, on air with Cooljag HS, with the previous owner(whole rig was his too). I have an SP-94 on in now, and cant get anything above stock stable without going to high vcore. My best was 2.69 at 1.65v, but wasnt stable past 10 minutes or so. I dont believe the CPU is damaged in anyway. Pins are straight, no burn marks, no damage to CPU die.

So again, what is the absolute highest vcore I would want to use to make this CPU last about 3 months?

If you are doing 2.85GHz at 1.65vcore and 1.79 vcore does not yeild any further improvements, ramping up the vcore any higher will most likely not do much. Either the CPU is not responding to the extra vcore and cannot be pushed any further, or more likely something else is limiting stability.

I have found with my AMD that temperatures help my stability and overclock quite a bit. At 2.4GHz it took 1.825 Vcore to be stable at 82°C. At 2.45Ghz it took 1.75Vcore to be stable in the 60's°C.

Also, what about things like PCI and AGP locks? PSU rails (+12, +5, and 3.3)? Try bumping up the Vdimm on your ram slightly. As long as you stay under 2.8-9 Vdimm and keep it cool you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Seabee said:
know it is not the memory, done all the tests for that.
First, RAM is up to 2.9 vdimm, 375 with 2-3-3-7. I know the RAM is not a problem. As I stated, I have tested that.

The rails are also fine, 11.97 out of my 12v, 3.25, and 4.97, respectively.

Have the AGP/PCI set to 66.66/33.33.
Seabee said:
The CPU did 2.85 at 1.65vcore, on air with Cooljag HS, with the previous owner(whole rig was his too). I have an SP-94 on in now, and cant get anything above stock stable without going to high vcore. My best was 2.69 at 1.65v, but wasnt stable past 10 minutes or so.

The 2.85 on 1.65 is NOT stable, no speed above stock is stable, unless I go up to 1.75(reported by mobo). But then it is only stable for 10 mins or so.

I almost believe it is this stinkin mobo, all voltages are stable but the vcore.

Back