Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Antivirus of Choice?

View Poll Results: Which antivirus do you use?......and why.
McAfee 45 5.56%
Norton 181 22.37%
Other 583 72.06%
Voters: 809. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed

Old 08-31-04, 01:07 AM   #61
syberspy9

any one seen this avast? on download.com?
Old 08-31-04, 02:53 AM   #62
diggingforgold

10 Year Badge

I use Norton 2003 Pro. I don't know why I chose Norton instead of McAfee. But until my updates run dry, I'll be sticking with this. And then I will probably go with AVG. I only stumble into a virus once every few months. And I always get it from friends who love to forward emails that they got from someone else. I have yet to get a virus from a normal download.

Eliminate the concept of email attachements, and everything will be fine.
Old 08-31-04, 11:45 AM   #63
CyberFed

Location: Orlando Florida UCF Alumni! C/0 2005 Computer Engineering

10 Year Badge

Norton 2004 Pro. Never used anything besides Norton since I've touched a computer, and never had one virus yet so I'm sold.

Old 09-07-04, 02:53 PM   #64
stmok

NOD32 or Norton Corporate Edition. (Not that Norton home crap version!)
Old 09-07-04, 10:47 PM   #65
Cowboy X

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by syberspy9
any one seen this avast? on download.com?
I know of Avast ........... well at least that it exists . And here is a poll that includes Avast :

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=323824&page=1

1/Asus P6T SE,Core i7 920 ( H2O ),ATI Radeon 5870 ( H2O ),OCZ Reaper 6 GB,OCZ Z 1000W modular ps,Seagate 7200.8 250 x2,WD Caviar Black 1TB,Nec AD-7170A,LG GGC Asus USB3.0 and SATA 6g cardBlu-ray/HD DVD drive and burner,Modified Koolance Tower , Swiftech GTZ, Koolance chipset and memory blocks, Modified Maze4 GPU cooler,Vista Ultimate 64
2/Sony Vaio SR590,Core 2 Duo P7450, ATI 4570m, 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, Crucial M4
3/PS3 80 GB and 160 GB
Intermittent FOLDING: system 1, ATI 5870 and PS3 for Team 32
" Fear of GOD is the beginning of wisdom "
"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our GOD shall stand forever."

Fold for Team 32
Old 09-08-04, 10:39 AM   #66
electromagnetic

You all may discard this as a crackpot theory, but I'm convinced the big names behind anti-virus are the ones responsible for releasing new virus code on the internet in the first place. Not all, just some, probably most of it.

Just think about it, what does anyone have to gain by making a virus? Spyware you can make money off of, but the only one who can make money off a virus is Norton or Mcafee or Trend Micro.

Don't buy anti-virus software. Be smart about what you do on you computer instead. You can always use bitfender online, and you don't ever need to worry about updating it.
Old 09-08-04, 11:03 AM   #67
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Prevalent virii can be and often are traced back to their geographic origins, and sometimes even to the culprit.

If it were the big names releasing these, it would be an immensely intricate global network of people working on it... And there is enough money involved that this wouldn't go unnoticed by federal agencies for any amount of time.

For many virii releases, it is a challenge, for some its an attack on capitalism. They all have their reasons.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile  
Old 09-08-04, 11:52 AM   #68
electromagnetic

You can't track the geographic origin of a CD ROM.
Old 09-08-04, 12:03 PM   #69
I.M.O.G.
Glorious Leader

10 Year Badge

Bahf, my girlfriend is a conspiracy theorist also occasionally. Sometimes I make tinfoil hats and leave them in places she will find them.

Put your computer to work for our OC Forum Teams!
Try out our POST TEMPLATES, they save you time answering common questions!

I spend half my money on CPUs, GPUs, and Liquid Nitrogen. The other half I waste.
I.M.O.G. is offline Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile  
Old 09-08-04, 02:26 PM   #70
Cowboy X

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by electromagnetic
You all may discard this as a crackpot theory, but I'm convinced the big names behind anti-virus are the ones responsible for releasing new virus code on the internet in the first place. Not all, just some, probably most of it.

Just think about it, what does anyone have to gain by making a virus? Spyware you can make money off of, but the only one who can make money off a virus is Norton or Mcafee or Trend Micro.

Don't buy anti-virus software. Be smart about what you do on you computer instead. You can always use bitfender online, and you don't ever need to worry about updating it.
Actually to the contrary . Some virus makers are making 'good' money by creating backdoors for corporate espionage , corporate sabotage , stealing ( and selling) personal info , stealing credit cards and of late partnering with spammers to create spambots and backdoors for spammers for the big $$$ . And of course that is the case with them acting directly , but they also could sell code to programs or exploits to anyone wishing to do any of the above .

1/Asus P6T SE,Core i7 920 ( H2O ),ATI Radeon 5870 ( H2O ),OCZ Reaper 6 GB,OCZ Z 1000W modular ps,Seagate 7200.8 250 x2,WD Caviar Black 1TB,Nec AD-7170A,LG GGC Asus USB3.0 and SATA 6g cardBlu-ray/HD DVD drive and burner,Modified Koolance Tower , Swiftech GTZ, Koolance chipset and memory blocks, Modified Maze4 GPU cooler,Vista Ultimate 64
2/Sony Vaio SR590,Core 2 Duo P7450, ATI 4570m, 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, Crucial M4
3/PS3 80 GB and 160 GB
"The grass withereth, the flower fadeth, but the word of our GOD shall stand forever."

Fold for Team 32
Old 09-08-04, 04:06 PM   #71
electromagnetic

They're in it for the money, I totally agree they help write spyware. And the distinction between spyware and virus is becoming thin.
Old 09-08-04, 04:54 PM   #72
secretweapon

I use norton, they just seem to be the fastest in updating their database against latest threats.
Old 09-08-04, 08:53 PM   #73
palee72

AVG free version... best I've used so far.. I've used norton and mcafee.. norton wasn't bad.. I used both home and corp versions of both as well.. I still prefer AVG.

RAM: G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) (PC3 10600)
CPU Cooling: AMD Stock
Case Cooling: Side mounted blue led fan
Case: Some silver case I picked up someplace. It holds my stuff..
Old 09-09-04, 03:23 PM   #74
Cowboy X

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by electromagnetic
They're in it for the money, I totally agree they help write spyware. And the distinction between spyware and virus is becoming thin.
Here's more :

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...biepcs20003000

3/PS3 80 GB and 160 GB

Fold for Team 32
Old 09-10-04, 01:19 AM   #75
kurisu

I don't use an anti-virus client at all. I run housecall.trendmicro.com scans once every three days or if I see anything suspicious on my computer. Bloatware Norton/McAfee have no place in a desktop computer anymore - and I'll tell you this in my near full year of experience as a cable ISP tech support, I have seen the housecall scan find viruses that the two aforementioned softwares do not time and time again. People are absolutely astonished at the fact when I guide them through it - after being enlightened that all the money they spent on subscriptions and software was a fruitless endeavor.
Old 09-10-04, 02:29 AM   #76
hkfeet
Registered

I been using norton for many years now and I am pleased with how it has kept my computer clean from viruses. However it doesnt pick up some trojans, which has infected my computer a couple of times.
Old 09-10-04, 07:40 AM   #77
RoadWarrior

10 Year Badge

I voted other for AVG.

Although on my own rigs I don't require a background AV, I can usually tell within minutes if a machine is infected with something, seem to have a 6th sense for it. It was back in 2000 I think that I lost faith with Norton, my 6th sense told me my wifes rig had aquired a virus, chernobyl I think it was, so I used the latest trial of Norton and it didn't find it. I used McAfee and it didn't find it. Most people would have thought their rig was clear then. Not me, I got the free fprot that runs from command line, and that one found it and removed it. There seems to be 2 fprots around, one Scandinavian one that is free and a commercial one. The one by the Scandanavians is the good one. It's not so easy to use though and not sure it's updated as often as it used to be, which is why in 2001 I think, I found AVG and started using that as my default virus tool. I've got it set up to run at boot on the kids rig, and just have it installed on my other rigs in case I need it. I run it once every so often just to check.

Strangely enough I've never found a virus on a random sweep. But every time I get that feeling, I've ran an AV and found one. If my 6th sense triggers and AVG doesn't come up trumps though, you bet I will try everything else until I find the bugger.

I have been known to use a disk sector editor to search for and remove virii, but since they rarely have clear text IDable strings in them these days I'm putting more trust in AV products.
On the couple of occasions since 2001 that I've got an infection, where I've had the luxury of time to play, I've found the virus with AVG and left it unfixed and ran other trialware versions of big AVs. It has not been often that they have found the virus!

I've put AVG on other peoples rigs too, they complain about thier PC acting, up, so I go over, sit down in front of it, and tell them, "It's a virus" and they tell me that that's impossible because they always use Norton or McAfee, so then I DL AVG and run it and clean up. One time there were 23 viruses on this one rig that Norton did not see, and 3 that it saw but couldn't remove.

Anyhoo, best AV is common sense and avoidance of reliance on MS. I don't use outlook or IE. I try to avoid the "default" apps for other internet applications as well, most common=most targetted.

Road Warrior

Black Belt Ubercloxx0r

"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous Folders have fallen or may fall into the grip of OCAU and all the odious apparatus of [H]ardOCP rule, we shall not flag or fail."

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fold on the Newcastles, we shall fold on the Northwoods and Prescotts, we shall fold with growing confidence and growing strength on Venice, we shall defend our Forum, whatever the cost may be, we shall fold on the Winchesters, we shall fold on the Bartons, we shall fold on the Applebreds and Thunderbirds, we shall fold on the Coppermines; we shall never surrender!"
Old 09-14-04, 02:25 AM   #78
urbancontra

nod32
Old 09-14-04, 01:17 PM   #79
whoever

Trend micro through system suite 5 is the best
Old 09-14-04, 01:38 PM   #80
electromagnetic

I think the best anti-virus software out there is gmail. Seriously. Well, unless my mom emails me.

Thread Closed

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.