• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Awesome Lappin Results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanSr

I lapped my HS yesterday and I had awesome results. I used 800, 1000, and 1200 grit. they were all wet\dry but I used them all dry, the wet made a mess.
I couldn't get the mirror shine that I heard about.

load temp
was 41C
now 31C

idle temp
was 28C
now 26C

full load temp
was 46C
now 41C

also my temps raise alot slower than before and drop WAYYYYYY faster than before.

Lapping is awesome

To get the mirror shine do the final lapping using Artic Silver as a lubricant and a really fine paper

they are the same thing, full load temp sounds better:)

I am really amazed at the results I got, I only expected 2 or 3C but to see my load temp drop 5C really inmpressed me.

I was going to get the dremel out and start buffing it but i didn't want to take the chance of warping it.

oyea I'm using the Tiesol HS with the delta 38, I'll be upgrading soon the swifty 462, but i'll be using the delta 80X38 "80cfm fan"

OOOOOPPPPPSSSSS

when I wrote my temp improvements the first load temp that was 41 and 31. I mean windows ME boot up temp:)

I'm in the military and stationed in england, so I don't have access to the wonderful land of walmart.
do you know of a website where I can get some 2000grit?

has any one actually got any results of lapping with differant grades to see which is the best compromise between smooth contact with the cpu and somewhere for the heat transfer compund to go. Is a mirror smooth surface from 2000 grit really better than a flat smooth surface done with 1200 grit which has somewhere for the heat transfer compund to go?
As soon as I have to time I'm going to see if lapping will improve the alread excellent glaciator and I'll do intermediary tests in between each grade but has any one done this yet?

UnseenMenace said:
To get the mirror shine do the final lapping using Artic Silver as a lubricant and a really fine paper
Oh really? From what I remember, ASII left a cloudy color

Oh, and good job. Better results than I'll ever get. As a matter of fact, I'm think I'm getting worse temperatures :p

It_The_Cow said:
Oh, and good job. Better results than I'll ever get. As a matter of fact, I'm think I'm getting worse temperatures :p

Same here. I have yet to get any better results from lapping. Unless I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'll take out my SK-6 and give her another whirl once. Now that I got some ASII maybe it'll work better.

Mortdog said:
The heatsink you use: Tiesol is Taisol right?.

Which model is it. The copper bottom or the aluminium.

Yea its the Taisol....:) I can't spell without spellcheck:)

its the aluminum bottom, they didn't have the copper bottom when i bought mine

Back