• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Matrox 256, ATI or NVidia?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skymtnboy

Hi -
I am building a new system which is going to be something like this:

INTEL P4 3.4 EE /2Mb cache/800FSB/HT (3.4 GHz EE LGA775 )
2x Western Digital 74MB Raptor(10,000rpm) in RAID 0 configuration
2 to 3GB RAM

I am not sure what kind of GPU to get... :confused:

- my work involves intensive real-time 3D rendering and computation
-I want to drive at least 2x 20" 1600x1200 12ms LCDs

Certainly hear lots about ATI X800 XT & Nvidia's 6800 offerings...
...however Matrox Parhelia 128 and 256 seem to be the only ones that support dual DVI.

Can anyone comment on these cards?
Or suggest something better?
My budget for the graphics card is USD$500-900

Any experiences/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I would look most closely at the Matrox. Of the three, it is the one geared more for graphical business applications while the other two are aimed more at the desktop/gaming enthusiast market. IMHO.

DWolf:cool:

If all you ar going to b doing is rendering, Then a workstation card would be bst, but they cost a lot and in the case of ATI and Nvidia they're exactly the same as their gaming cards (you just have to flash the bios...)

I don't think the matrox would be the fastest choice, but it is the one geared more towards what you want to do...

iwillburnbush said:
If all you ar going to b doing is rendering, Then a workstation card would be bst, but they cost a lot and in the case of ATI and Nvidia they're exactly the same as their gaming cards (you just have to flash the bios...)

I don't think the matrox would be the fastest choice, but it is the one geared more towards what you want to do...

Agreed. I don't have so much knowledge on the subject, but I don't think Matrox would be a very good choice for what you are doing. You might be able to get a card from the 6800 or X800 series, and flash it into a workstation card, but I'm not sure of whether it is possible to do it with the newest cards yet.

Back