• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers.com being ripped off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I saw something very similar mentioned on the frontpage a week or two ago, and then I came across this on google... Anyone have an explanation? Someone shoot an email off to Joe, Ed, or Skip if we think they aren't already aware of this:

http://www.com-cen.com/

It....looks like someone downloaded the entire OC site and....put it up as a mirror??

Call them and ask! Someone better not copy the forums lol. Mayby overclockers can win money from them so they can get more bandwidth or somthing, possibly buy jot a computer :p.

Some more detail...

Registrant:

COMCEN Communications Center (24296449O)
371 North Engel Street
Escondido, CA 92029
US
Phone: 999 999 9999
Fax: 999 999 9999

Domain Name: COM-CEN.COM

Administrative Contact , Technical Contact :
Fiocco, John
(JF6943)
[email protected]
371 ENGEL ST
ESCONDIDO, CA 92029-1710
US
Phone: (760) 746-6807
Fax: (760) 738-0209

Record expires on 10-May-2009
Record created on 11-May-1998
Database last updated on 07-Jul-2004

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.MEDIA3.NET 208.249.122.250
NS2.MEDIA3.NET 206.67.48.250

A DNS lookup shows no MX record, which means no mail server for them.
COMCEN is a common military phrase for communications center. Com-Cen.Com doesn't appear to exist on the internet except for this website, although there is a company with a similar name in Australia. I'd guess it's either someone goofing around or it's someone looking to create quick cash on advertisements.

A quick call to Media3.Net from overclockers.com (which is registered to someone on the other side of the country) should be enough to take the site down if it's not authorized.

All the links still go to their correct places, like OCForums o_O

Well they both have the same DNS, and anyone is allowed to set an A record on their domain to point to any IP they want, so I don't see anything wrong or any content actually copied/duplicated. They are just using that domain as a host that resolves to the real Overclockers.com server.

At least it doesn't sound illegal to me, but I could be wrong.

From the looks of it com-cen.com is hosted on the same box as overclockers.com but since there's no virtualdomain for com-cen.com it defaults to overclockers.com, nothing malicious about it, blame the hosting company ;)

Being that ive been away for a lil while, i may be wrong, but doesent skip still run the web site from his personally owned web server? being that i do recall he owns a web hosting company :)

LutaWicasa said:
An "I'm telling!!" email has already been dispatched to JoeC ;)

Thank you for your quick response, LutaWicasa. Keep us posted.

Matt

Just to add a bit more info:

The website has been hosted by Media3 for quite some time. We have found other sites in which the same thing is happening. Joe is going to call Media3 to find out what is going on.

Back