• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radeon x800pro vs geforce 6800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krazykongo

i kno this question probably has popped up a few times on the board, but i really need 2 find out cos im buyin one very soon.

which can be clocked most?
which will run games smoother?
which produces better visuals?
does the fact that the x800 doesnt hav pixelshader giv it a disadvantage?

thanx 4 ur time

first of all welcome to the forum

Secondly. In benchmarks the 6800gt is beating the x800xt in a lot of tests. The x800pro has 12 pipes wereas the the gt has 16. More pipes = better performace. The 6800gt has opengl and pixel shader 3.0 I believe were as the x800pro does not so the 6800gt will again win. As for how high you can clock it, it really is luck of the draw, depends on the memory that the card has. I believe the lower the ns value Ie, 2.0ns memory compared to 1.6ns memory it seems the better the clock. I hope this answered your question

Ok here is goes if you want to play doom 3 alot above 70 or 80fps even those you dont see the difference between 40 and 80 get one of the new Nvidia cards if you want to play Half life 2 get the ATI card.

ATI cards are regarded with having the best pictures but the 6800 have a far better one then the old models.

The case with pixelshader 3 is still up in the air but it does not really matter because all the new cards are super crazy fast and any game is playable on the new cards.

I am an ATI guy and am going to get one of the new X800XT PCIE cards when they are out for a few reasons. The first is since PCI express does not have a lock some cards become unstable IE 6800 in part because they have a HIS. The 2nd one is I will probebly be able to get a X800XT before a 6800ULTRA :)

Well, so far, the only game that shows a HUGE difference between the cards is Doom 3. And like hkh said, if you want to play at 80+ FPS, get the GT. Not even HL2 (As of now.) shows a massive differenece...

Well If I had to pick one I'd take the 6800gt since it offers more then the x800pro for about the same price.

I suppose the 6800 is currently better, but I personally would wait for the X800Xt because I am an ATI guy, I had a bad experiance with nvidia and nothing but good experiances with ATI

As with Pixel shader 3.0 I doubt it matters much. IMHO, by the time pixel shader starts getting used their will be better cards and the 6800 will struggle with it

I think it really depends an awful lot on your system, and how soon you plan to upgrade. i mean, if you had a p4 3.4 ghz, or equivilant oc system i would be inclined to go for the gt, but i wonder what ati is going to do to counter that. i know they have announced a counterpart to the gt line with their own x800gt or somthing, which would be a sound choice. the x800 pro and 6800gt arent even in the same boat since a 6800gt is just a down clocked ultra. not so on the ati side. but i think when the x800gts come out, we can expect a huge price drop on the existing x800 pros, and that is what im curious to see..
i dont have a 3 ghz p4 or an athlon 64. in fact, im just rebuilding a athlon xp barton with good ram heh. im seriously considering a x800 pro as a viable alternative to 9800 pro since by the time i buy, it will be like $400 cdn, much like the 12 pipe 6800np's are now. if i had to pick of the 12 pipe cards, x800 all the way. but for 16, i would take a 6800gt even over a x800xtpe.

I want to know what the power requirements are for the gt though.... i know the x800's use less power and run colder thant he nvidia counter parts. nvidia states you need like 480 watts to power the phucing thing *ultra* and i assume the gt would require about the same to oc well. i dont know if the gt's would do much higher than ultra witht eh single power on it. but then again, im sure the need for two power connectors is complete bs and it would run just fine with only one.

If this computer will last you like.. a year or two, i would go gt. sounds like a fantastic card, but i would be curious to see what ati is doing to counter it. im not a ati fanboy especially, But i prefer pretty over fast. 40fps or 80 fps.. meh.

avalanche83 said:
I'd say the ati. Even the new xbox is switching from nvidea to ATI chipset.

I'd actually go with nV to be honest. If you buy a PRO you will never match an x800XT. However with a GT you will have an Ultra. Big difference in my opinion

hkh said:
Ok here is goes if you want to play doom 3 alot above 70 or 80fps even those you dont see the difference between 40 and 80 get one of the new Nvidia cards if you want to play Half life 2 get the ATI card.

I thought Doom 3 was locked at 60FPS?

I'm not a fanboy of any of the companies and am completely impartial towards my judgement. who ever gives me the best product for my hard earend money is who im going to pick.

Althoug im on a preorder for the 6800 ultra, x800 xt and x800 xtpe. the last two cards are much better cards. im not going to sit here and try to convince anyone without much to back it up. so here is a link that might help you out.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/graphics-cards-2004_51.html

If you want a good card for the best price go after the BFG 6800gt OC (dont even think about anything else).
but if your like me and wants the best, i think its best for you to wait and get the x800xt or x800xtpe. it'll be worth the wait. most stores should have these cards in by sep 20th - 28th.

till than just keep looking for the best deal you could get.
here are few more links that might help you out in finding the best deals.

x800xt for $450. its a steal, get it while you can. :attn: ETA sep 28th but its a good price. :(
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/cart/shopping_cart.asp?action=add&dpno=434568&qty=

i'll update more links in few hours when the sites work.

Last edited:
krazykongo said:
i kno this question probably has popped up a few times on the board, but i really need 2 find out cos im buyin one very soon.

which can be clocked most?
which will run games smoother?
which produces better visuals?
does the fact that the x800 doesnt hav pixelshader giv it a disadvantage?

thanx 4 ur time

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

since you don't know me well, I'm the guy who dispells all rumors, fanboyish remarks, and fantasys.
before I go on, let me say that you can't go wrong with a 6800gt or the x800pro.
they are both great cards, and both seem to OC quite well.

boy, I havn't seen so many untruths here in this forum in a long time, so please bare with me....lol

Secondly. In benchmarks the 6800gt is beating the x800xt in a lot of tests. The x800pro has 12 pipes wereas the the gt has 16. More pipes = better performace. The 6800gt has opengl and pixel shader 3.0 I believe were as the x800pro does not so the 6800gt will again win.

the 6800gt will win some, and the x800pro will win some.

the 6800gt will never beat the x800xt in any game, other then posably Doom3, and I don't think a frame or two is a big win.
in all other games, the x800xt will easily beat the 6800gt by at least one resolution higher and maybe some added AA and AF as well, too.

the 6800gt will win most if not all OpenGL games against the x800pro...even Doom3.
yet farcry and most other shader rich games will always go to the x800pro.
sorry, even when using SM3.0 the 6800gt can't beat the x800pro in farcry.

my original investigation of SM3.0 and farcry.

no matter as the farcry patch that used SM3.0 was recalled from crytek because of too many bugs for both cards.

as for the whole "more pipes = better performance"....
that is what some people get from listening to too many fanboys, from fanboyish sites.
how many pipelines a graphic chip has, is but a small part of the over all mix of how well a chip can do it's work.
adding AA and AF, or a game rich in long shader instructions (such as in SM2.0 or SM3.0 can hinder the performance of even the 6800gt, unlike the x800pro)
btw, the x800pro doesn't have SM3.0 suport, yet it has also been shown that when using advanced SM2.0 DX9.0b shaders, it can match or beat the few SM3.0 shaders that realy do give a performance increase.
(note: most SM3.0 are not performance boosters and can even hinder performance greatly.)

a great place to start learning about graphic hardware or how they work is beyond3d. com forums... ;)

Well, so far, the only game that shows a HUGE difference between the cards is Doom 3. And like hkh said, if you want to play at 80+ FPS, get the GT. Not even HL2 (As of now.) shows a massive differenece...

first off, DOOM3 is caped at 60fps...you will never get higher framerates on any card, even at 640x480.
doom3 will do better on the 6800gt, yet not as much as this person says.
after all, doom3 has many nVidia optimisations in it(not that that is a bad thing)...
parcial prisition
texture look up (why JC didn't add math is beyond me, as it would have helped all the newer ATI cards, starting with the 9700. there is always the humus tweek ;) )
ultra shadow, ultra shadowII suport
DXTS5 (I have no idea why 3Dc was not added, as it would have helped with performance on x800 cards, and defaults back to DXTC5 anyway for cards that don't suport it.)

btw, the beta HL2 test do sugjest up to 40% performance differance on the high end cards, with the x800's winning that match.
well it does have tons of high quality SM2.0 shaders.
that's a far cry better then about 10% performance differances in Doom3, yet all new cards should do well in HL2 just like they do in Doom3.
(do not get a card just for one game....you'll be sorry)

I think it really depends an awful lot on your system, and how soon you plan to upgrade. i mean, if you had a p4 3.4 ghz, or equivilant oc system i would be inclined to go for the gt, but i wonder what ati is going to do to counter that. i know they have announced a counterpart to the gt line with their own x800gt or somthing, which would be a sound choice. the x800 pro and 6800gt arent even in the same boat since a 6800gt is just a down clocked ultra. not so on the ati side. but i think when the x800gts come out, we can expect a huge price drop on the existing x800 pros, and that is what im curious to see..

rumor...all rumor and has no basses of fact.
mark my words, ATI will not revamp it's x800 line of cards till R500.
there will be NO x800gt, I repeat, there will be no x800gt ever.
if the x800pro is not in the same boat as the 6800gt's, then why is the x800pro beating the 6800gt in most of the newest games...Doom3 being one of the few exceptions.

I'd actually go with nV to be honest. If you buy a PRO you will never match an x800XT. However with a GT you will have an Ultra. Big difference in my opinion

yes when OCed your 6800gt will be a 6800u.
yet my OCed x800pro beats the stock 6800u or OCed 6800gt to 6800u speeds(and I was unable to unlock the extra pipes, I guess I don't need to)....what's your point again?

so what card should you get?
like I said, they are both good....toss a coin, and get what is cheaper or easyer to get at the time.

have fun, and injoy this forum.

mica

Last edited:
Just got my September issue of Maxium PC. They reviewed the 6800 Ultra (LeadteK - the one with the giant copper cooler), they also reviewed the VisionteK X800XT Platinum, as well as the X800 Pro and 6800 GT.

They gave the 6800 Ultra and X800XT a 9.0 but gave the overall winner to the 6800 Ultra.
"The reference design of the 6800 Ultra we tested in May issue performed very well in synthetic benchmarks, but back then, it couldn't compete with ATI's Radeon counterpart in real-world gaming. This time around, the tables have turned. The Nvidia card dominated in nearly every benchmark"

On the X800 Pro vs. the 6800 GT it can be summed up like this. Score was 7.0 for the X800 Pro and 9.0 for the GT.
"Unlike the very fastest cards, where the performance delta between ATI and Nvidia is close, here the ATI card (X800 Pro) is almost 20% slower in some benchmarks. That's not good, and as such, we find no good reason to recommend this card over a comparably priced 6800 GT"

Mica, what I am saying is that the x800PRO is a damn good card, no doubts there. But its never a 6800U. You cant just flasht to XT in the same way I can do ultra.

As much as I like the PRO, 12 pipes is something that makes me very uneasy.

Sentential said:
Mica, what I am saying is that the x800PRO is a damn good card, no doubts there. But its never a 6800U. You cant just flasht to XT in the same way I can do ultra.

As much as I like the PRO, 12 pipes is something that makes me very uneasy.

And is that why people buy nVidia cards? Because they have higher overall specs? :p

Don't you remember the whole FX 5XXX line? They had higher clock speeds, yet the ATi cards still beat them overall.

And yeah, it will never be a 6800U. And you know what? the 6800U will never be an ATi X800XT. Because the 6800 line is by nVidia and the X800 line is by ATi :eek:

oh it's twisting the brain! :sn:

Cerberus2k7 said:
And is that why people buy nVidia cards? Because they have higher overall specs? :p

Don't you remember the whole FX 5XXX line? They had higher clock speeds, yet the ATi cards still beat them overall.

And yeah, it will never be a 6800U. And you know what? the 6800U will never be an ATi X800XT. Because the 6800 line is by nVidia and the X800 line is by ATi :eek:

oh it's twisting the brain! :sn:

Heh, You get my point tho. If the x800PRO were able to flash to XT with ease it would be a different story, but sadly they wernt so kind.

Despite nV's shortcomings this is a hellova card, no complaints here whatsoever.

stop the fanboy chat and get one of the cards you could get while you could get it.

the best card for the $ goes to 6800gt.
best over all card is the x800xt.

My friend has the x800xt and it runs at 60fps with high settings and the image quality is just amazing in doom III. The ultra doesnt live up to the hype since doom 3 is locked at 60fps. Wait till HL2 comes out.

so can the x800pro b clocked to match the 800xt?
can the 6800gt b clocked to match the 6800 ULtra?
if they both can b clocked to math their superior cards, and people claim the ultra is better than the XT then would it b best to get the 6800gt? or is the 800xt better than the Ultra?

Agreed with earlier post. The best card for the money, of the newer cards, is a 6800GT. It's $399 card that can reach Ultra speeds ($499) 99.99% of the time. The best card ever, though, is the X800XTPE. It beats the 6800U in many, while the 6800U also takes many as well, but the X800XTPE is a one slot solution and needs only 1 power plug, whereas the 6800U is a power hungry, slot hogging monster of a card. Clearly, if you had the choice between either, the XTPE is better. The thing is, a GT can easily OC to an Ultra or better, so it's all up to you. IMO, i know i'm going to make people mad, but the X800PRO isn't worth the money compared to the GT. An X800PRO can almost never make it to an XT in terms of speed (16pipes = n3g), and it's not worth the risk with the stories of cards dying within a few days from the mod. Would you rather pay $400 for a good card (X800PRO)? Or $400 for a good card (6800GT) that can OC to an awesome card for free that's worth $500 (6800U)?

Chowdy said:
Agreed with earlier post. The best card for the money, of the newer cards, is a 6800GT. It's $399 card that can reach Ultra speeds ($499) 99.99% of the time. The best card ever, though, is the X800XTPE. It beats the 6800U in many, while the 6800U also takes many as well, but the X800XTPE is a one slot solution and needs only 1 power plug, whereas the 6800U is a power hungry, slot hogging monster of a card. Clearly, if you had the choice between either, the XTPE is better. The thing is, a GT can easily OC to an Ultra or better, so it's all up to you. IMO, i know i'm going to make people mad, but the X800PRO isn't worth the money compared to the GT. An X800PRO can almost never make it to an XT in terms of speed (16pipes = n3g), and it's not worth the risk with the stories of cards dying within a few days from the mod. Would you rather pay $400 for a good card (X800PRO)? Or $400 for a good card (6800GT) that can OC to an awesome card for free that's worth $500 (6800U)?

Agreed.

Back