• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

advice please, upgrade or not??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mustrum

I currently own a 2500+ AQZEA Barton desktop CPU. It's unlocked and runs at 2.4ghz primestable just fine. Now i read that there's those great steppings of 2600+ mobiles that can do 2.7ghz on air?

Would an upgrade be worth it or is the difference minimal?
I use a asus a7n8x delue v2.0. I read that it's multiplier can't higher than 12.5. Is that true? My memory wont go past 210mhz (well maybe 213-214 with horrible timings) so i should use a multi of 13. I use the 1007 uber bios btw.
I also read reports that the a7n8x only does 1.82 vcore wich seems funny since i have set mine to 1.85 im 99% sure. (might be the uber bios tho since it's a hacked one)
Heatsink is a Thermalright SLK900A. Should be capable of cooling a xpm 2600+ right?

Is it doable and if yes are the 200-300 mhz worth a CPU upgrade?
(Could sell my AQZEA since it's a great chip as well)

I would say its not worth it , Not all chips clock the same. You could get a mobile that clocks good or one that clocks normal. Even if it did clock to 2.7Ghz thats not much from where your at. Id wait

yeah i would suggest waiting alittle longer and trying to go A64+DFI, but if you dont think that you will have the money to do anything for along time, then i might be temped to try a mobile, but as dead_man said, they dont all clock good, you might end up w/ only 2.4g's stable, or you might get luck and get in the 2.6-2.7 range.......

Ok thanks. I'll keep my AQZEA. i get a higher RPM Thermaltake UFO 92mm fan next week. Maybe i get to 2.45 or even 2.5ghz with my actual chip with that anyways (using a 92mm papst low rpm fan right now).
My next upgrade will be a AMD 64 when they are dirt cheap and PCI-E is more common. (I'll hold on to AGP since i just got me a XT PE :D)
What voltage can be considered safe? I could get to 2.5ghz at 1.9volts maybe. Somehow i didn't dare to go past 1.85volts so far.

You should be OK up to 2V as long as you temps stay down. You have a good overclock going with your present setup. It seems the average OC of the 2500M at 1.85V is about 2550. At 1.95V you may get an extra 50-100 from your setup. With a SP97 and a tornado, I ran 52-54C at 2V at 2700 with a 2500M. I've since change to WC because the tornado was too irritating.

fhanderson said:
You should be OK up to 2V as long as you temps stay down. You have a good overclock going with your present setup. It seems the average OC of the 2500M at 1.85V is about 2550. At 1.95V you may get an extra 50-100 from your setup. With a SP97 and a tornado, I ran 52-54C at 2V at 2700 with a 2500M. I've since change to WC because the tornado was too irritating.
Thanks for the info. The Thermaltake UFO fan should be quite similar to a tornado. It comes with a RPM control though so i'll see how much RPM i want. I don't want my system be too loud. I rather sacrifice 100 mhz and have the system more silent. (Currently my papst fan runs at only 19 dezibel wich is useless since i get mnore noise from my casefans and graphics card so i thought i might as well change my CPU fan.)
I'll see how loud that fan is at max RPM hehehe. :bday:

Back