• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Linux version are you TRYING to instal, this week.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What Linux version are you TRYING to installor tinkering with, this week

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stompah

Deep Pain Senior Member
So what is everyone installing and tinkering with this week?

It doesnt have to be installed this week to count but as of now or the next few days what distros will you be bugging with. And please post your progress and any issues you have had and whether you got past them.

Poll up for only 10 days.

Last edited:
First Vote.

Just Installed Gentoo on a second machine last week. Took a few hours a day to issue the commands to get the base system installed. After that I had some serious 3d video issuse (my fault, compiled 4k kernel headers instead of 8k, which nvidia doesn't like, and doesn't work) Then there was the sound. Compiled ALSA into the kernel, but forgot the modules for the sound card. What a nitemare that was. Its the dumb stupid stuff that really hangs you out.

There are a few minor issues that are still bothering me, but at this point I have a system that loads from off to desktop in under 30 seconds. Including starting all services ect. Not like windows, where you can see the desktop in 30sec, but a fully loaded 100% working machine in 30 secs. I can also hit KDE in about 12 seconds. Not too shabby. Sure beats any other distro out there in terms of speed.

Oh, and don't forget that portage rule. Best pacakage manager to date.

I cant vote yet since I am stuck in Yoper/Slackware/Gentoo/Ati limbo.

I know Yoper + ATI wont work for me. Slackware has worked with ATI in the past. Gentoo will be a LONG setup for an 'IF' on ATI support. I would like the speed but I think I will try Yoper a few more times then Slackware a few more times and if nothing works then 2d Gentoo. So I can vote in a few days.

Gentoo! I'm starting to install Gentoo for a print server, all via ssh. And I SSH'ed in for the first time at 8:00 PM EST, let's see if it does take a month this time :sn:

Gentoo.

Bootstrapped in base and emerged system. Got X setup and emerge nvidia & gnome. (Discovered that certain cheap imitation mice [Read WiseTech] will lock up in X after only a few seconds)

BTW Today is day 3. Still can't get gentoo to recognize second chip. Haven't even started on the sound issue.

Got gnome up and thought to myself "Self, this looks awfully empty"---Then I remembered that I hadn't emerged anyother programs yet so of course it was going to look empty. DUH

But it's running and stable. That's a first for me with gentoo :attn:

In fact I sending this from there :D Firefox and Thunderbird were the first two progs added.

DWolf:cool:

wish i could vote for two, ive got yoper going on silverbox, waiting for me to compile a new kernel for (just for practice, dont really need a new kernel, but ive never gotten one to work before). i couldnt get my 8500 doing 3d in it like i could in mdk10c, but its my backup/sell box anyway.

i threw mdk10 offical on a new partion in darkhorse friday or so, got my 9800 doing 3d, though the 3.11.1 drivers are pissfully slow, when my 8500 was my main card using the 3.9.0 drivers, i got about the same fps in glxgears as i do know. ill throw ut04 on there eventually and see how that runs, might rollback to the 3.9.0's then. if only the 3.2.8 worked with a 2.6 kernel :(

Mandrake 10
fedora core 2
slackware 10
gentoo 32 and 64 bit
debian
BSD
yoper
lycoris
red hat

so far, and more are being added :D don't ask

Slackware 9.1
Red Hat 9.0

Not bad for a total noobie! Just wait billy, I'll get rid of
you soon!!

C:/NO/M$/BS/ON/MY/PC> dev/hada

Last edited:
I installed Gentoo over the past couple weeks. It runs fine and has everything I need. Right now I'm just tinkering with new things. It's got the gentoo-dev-sources kernel 2.6.7-r12, Xorg, Fluxbox, Rox Filer, Firefox, gimp, aterm, torsmo. I'm installing more as I get the time, I killed alot of time making Fluxbox themes and screwing with fonts which I still think look funny.

This was my second time installing Gentoo. My first install about 2 months ago worked just fine but I rebuilt that computer so I wanted to start over from scratch.

Oh, I guess I am a Linux newbie. About 2 months ago was my first time really using linux. I chose Gentoo and did a stage 1 install. I learned alot in two months. I'm getting the hang of it but I still have alot to learn.

hawk072 said:
Oh, I guess I am a Linux newbie. About 2 months ago was my first time really using linux. I chose Gentoo and did a stage 1 install. I learned alot in two months. I'm getting the hang of it but I still have alot to learn.

Doesn't matter if it was your first try. Anyone who survives a Gentoo stage 1 install is no longer a linux newbie. :attn: :attn:

From the www.yoper.com FAQ page:
Yoper fills the gap between the guru-only Gentoo or Linux from scratch OS's, and Linux distros used by businesses or home users, that still want the best possible desktop.

Going to go with Gentoo. Fishy is pretty much partial to the 'Too so once I get my LANrig stable hardware wise I wll start the install.

DreamingWolf said:
Doesn't matter if it was your first try. Anyone who survives a Gentoo stage 1 install is no longer a linux newbie. :attn: :attn:

I still count myself as a noob. Granted I can do some more difficult things in very little time, like making a new kernel. Thats from practice, and mainly from me borking the kernel so many times. I also would like to consider myself an expert with fdisk. When it comes down to it, I still need to hit the web for some very basicy stuff, like changing my host name. Hopefully I pick up on the smaller stuff and remember it. If not, well, thats what the internet and the forums are for.

I know the feeling. I always work on one rig at a time and have the other linked to this and the linux forums so I can troubleshoot as I go. This is in addition to having a hardcopy of Gentoo's installation guide in front of me.

Well, if you're doing a stage3 install, it's not bad at all, evrything is already pretty much prebuilt for you. the system just isn't quite as lean and mean as you can make it by building from stage1.

chasingapple said:
One day Gentoo will be easy to install and then everyone will use it, if it really is as good as I keep hearing...Never tried it myself.

Then it wouldn't be as 1337. :D

Gentoo will always be hard. Its the way it was meant to be. I sucks, but its worth it. Give it a shot. You think Yoper is fast..........why do you think Yoper is not compared to Gentoo in any of the speed comparissions? Well who compares themselves against something better than them?

DreamingWolf said:

Much to my amazement I am BLOWING through this Gentoo install. First time around I had some problems but this time I was able to overcome minor ones. But I am still gonna be a Linux newb. But I will be a newb who read the manual!

chasingapple said:
One day Gentoo will be easy to install and then everyone will use it, if it really is as good as I keep hearing...Never tried it myself.

If you have installed any distro, then you can install Gentoo. I have gotten this far and have very little knowledge of Linux itself. I am just reading the manual. So far it looks like to my untrained eye that thsi install will go all the way.

I am past the kernel and am now emerging hardware drivers.

stompah said:
Much to my amazement I am BLOWING through this Gentoo install. First time around I had some problems but this time I was able to overcome minor ones. But I am still gonna be a Linux newb. But I will be a newb who read the manual!

If you have installed any distro, then you can install Gentoo. I have gotten this far and have very little knowledge of Linux itself. I am just reading the manual. So far it looks like to my untrained eye that thsi install will go all the way.

I am past the kernel and am now emerging hardware drivers.

You might have jinxed yourself on that comment there. Hope it works out for you. Let me know where you get stuck.

Back