Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs
Forum Jump

How can the s939 3500 & 3800 be overclocked?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 08-22-04, 06:35 PM Thread Starter   #1
Falseprophet

How can the s939 3500 & 3800 be overclocked?

I unlocked my old AMD 900 Athelon. L1 method. can any similar method be used to unlock the new 64bit 3500+ & 3800+? I see a large cover attached to the processor package. Can this be removed and the Chip settings modified???
Falseprophet is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-22-04, 06:56 PM   #2
Jess1313

no, no such method can be used to unlock A64 proccessors, i have 3 and have had the IHS off all of them, there are sadly no jumpers of anykind........

but the 3500+ and 3800+ are unlocked down(multpiers below stock).....

heres a pic after the heat speader is removed...

*Heat*
Jess1313 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-22-04, 09:57 PM Thread Starter   #3
Falseprophet

There has to be some way of doing it. I have heard of Laser Weilders being able to leave very thin and small metallic traces (gold I think) I think that some jewlers use them? very very expensive. but to pay one to do the work should not be that much. perhaps some of the 939 pins on the underside could be connected via Laser Weilder??? commonly know as the Wire trick on the xp cpu's... same principle. could this be done in theory?
Old 08-22-04, 10:12 PM   #4
DanIdentity

Not possible. Just buy an FX with fully unlocked multipliers.
DanIdentity is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-22-04, 10:33 PM Thread Starter   #5
Falseprophet

I see. Well I dont have access to a laser welder anyways, and even if I did, I am sure that AMD are the only ones that would know which pins to connect anyways. I am sure that even if you could get an AMD engineer on the phone to ask him how to do it, that he would not tell you... I was just intrested in the concept. I used to know someone that knew a guy that owned a laser welder. From what I understand they can make several near microscopic welds on each other then follow a path and connect it to another point. the traces could be ran between the pins without ever touching the other pins. And copnduct the electricty without having to worry about shorting to other pins. This is not an Unlocking solution. Just an attempt to be the first to unlock the new non FX 939's. everything that is new and untried starts as an experiment. I would love to read about someone doing this and posting proof of the first unlocked non FX 939 or 754... I have no intentions of trying it. I would just like to discuss and read about it. hehehe.
Old 08-22-04, 10:44 PM   #6
Yuriman

Well, if you had to bridge 2 pins, you might as well do a pin mod. Ive done it, just stick a small wire in the socket and connect the 2 pins. I believe AMD has also released what all the pins do(im pretty sure ive seen it), and nobody has figured it out yet.
Yuriman is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-22-04, 11:06 PM Thread Starter   #7
Falseprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuriman
Well, if you had to bridge 2 pins, you might as well do a pin mod. Ive done it, just stick a small wire in the socket and connect the 2 pins. I believe AMD has also released what all the pins do(im pretty sure ive seen it), and nobody has figured it out yet.
I just got the reply to this thread moments ago and found this. pdf file released by amd http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/31411.pdf

tech specs and diagram of the 939's and pin out's
Old 08-22-04, 11:18 PM Thread Starter   #8
Falseprophet

Wow there is tons of tech info that I cant even begin to understand in that pdf file. Someone that knows what they are looking for will have to analyze it. way beyond me!!!
Old 08-23-04, 12:46 AM Thread Starter   #9
Falseprophet

One last thing befor I go to bed tonight. Why did AMD place the IHS on the 64's??? just seems like the heat must travel through the IHS to get to the HSF cooler??? seems like more places for thermal resistance?
Old 08-23-04, 06:13 AM   #10
Yuriman

Well, I suppose the IHS will save the chip if it has no heatsink, and a lot of XP's were killed by cracked core. Its a lot easier to put heatsinks on now.
Yuriman is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > CPUs > AMD CPUs
AMD CPUs