• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If you had $300.00

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im currently in that very situation..i have 300€ spare, and i was doubting if i would upgrade my videocard. I currently have the 9800XT in my sig, and since it runs even Doom3 @ 1280*1024 medium detail quite well, i decided to put the money on my bank account and save it for my Holiday in Spain next year :)

A card like the 6800NU would give me better AA, FSAA and framerates, but i concluded i just didnt needed that, even for HL2. Thereby, i was bored of spending money on my PC.

I agree with you there. The differance b/e the 9800XT and 6800NU is noticable, but isn't really worth the money. Maybe put a nice heatsink and a fan on your XT and overclock it as much as you want..IF you want of course. :thup:

I would save the money and at least buy a 6800GT, the 6800nu is not worth upgrading unless you had previously own FX 5200 or something similar, like me.

Since the video card is out.... How about a cat-back exhaust or K&N FIPK intake? Might as well OC your ride if the computer is all good. :D

LOL my ride aint worth the trouble to do any performance mods i have a 90 buick Lesabre its in mint shape just a few faded paint spots on the plastic bumper covers.But i hate this 9800se.I really want the Gt but i just cant get 450 up for a video card.The 9800XT and the 6800nu are about the same price but the 6800 beats the xt by a pretty good marigine in most apps.But The XT has 256mb of ram and i think that might make a bigger difference later on in some games.Im not sure.I could really get another $100 if i really have to But my old lady is gonna kill me...lol She figured out that i have spent $1700.00 this year alone on computer parts and i have but most of that was with selling off old stuff and buying new stuff with the money so only maybe 800 of that was out of pocket.i have 2 mobo (IS7/IK1100)and a 2500+unlocked barton i could sell of and get the rest of the money.But what im really worried about is if i get this card (6800nu) is it gonna be able to to keep pace in a year or so with the new games comming out if not then im gonna have to just save up and get the GT.Oh yeah and here is a link to a guy selling a 9800pro and this guys say he gets 19060 in 3dmark01 and 12900 in 03 with 128 mb that beats the 6800nu and the 9800xt .And this card is the black board with no heatsinks and looks just like my 9800se with the floppydrive power connector check this out...lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80184&item=5118153708

Last edited:
Hey how about a 9700pro for $158.00 would that get me another year or so.My old lady would much rather me spend $158.00 than $300.00.Man i hate this i wanna make the right choice this time.

300$ :) Hmmm how about a nice new PSU your is a lil old maybe a 650watt :D
and of course withthe left over cash you could go eat out somewhere :) Oh and go get an Audigy or the Audigy 2...

Nah psu you is fine for now and i only have Z640's i wouldnt spend double on the sound cards as the speakers since i have no plans to upgrade them anytime soon.Since they sound reallygood and the onboard sound is fine to for right now.Im just intrested in a better vga card and i do want a new psu .But im gonna wait on that for a little while i want the ocz520 or that new one that you only use the plugs you need.After Xmas im gonna build a new System anyway.

well I would get the 6800 or rather get 9800pro 256Mb one (XT). and save the rest of buy ur misses something nice... ;) its worth it ....

anyway as you said doom3 runs well hl2 will run well and there is no point upgrading..
now say it loud
"There is no point upgrading" not in your head loud and repeat 10 times..

feeling clearer in your head? good. (I do this ones a week)

Back