• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime stable, memest stable - still unstable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
o.k. heres the situation. I've recently been able to overclock the fsb on my NF7 v2 from 223 to 238. Good right? Well I've got my rig stable in prime95 (10 hours test 1), and memtest86 (8 hours all tests). Well now I'm in unknown territory since I've never had a fsb clocked this high. If I run a program like 3dmark03 or aquamark3 rest assured if I run the benchmark a few times my system reboots. So what do I have to do to get my system into this "new" level of stability? Is this a sign that my mb just can't handle fsb this high? Here are the specs I'm using

Merlin D25 r2 cpcon
vdd 1.7v - fsb at 238 (memory goes upto 242 error free in memtest)
vdimm 2.6v (mb overvolts to 2.66) 3-4-4-8 (since it doesn't seem to work right at 3-4-4-11)
vcore 1.93v (mb undervolts to 1.87)
vga 1.5v - 9800xt

any help with this would be much appreciated.

i moved the agp slot voltage up to 1.6 and it seems to be a little better.... I can now get through the benchmarks without the system rebooting. I didn't think the agp voltage mattered much.... :-/ guess i was wrong. :D

anyone know if it's o.k. to run the agp slot voltage @ 1.7v for a 9800pro?

1.7... stock is @ 1.5. I am not sure if it is OK.

As far as stability goes, I run my system for 24hrs in Prime95 before I claim it is stable. And for memory, it runs for at least 12hours before I claim its stability. Just something to think about.

Are you sure your PCI/AGP bus is locked to 33.3/66.6? AGP voltage helps if the card is having issues from high AGP bus speeds (and your card is definatly having issues with something ;)), but with your NF7 that should be no issue.

JigPu

JigPu said:
Are you sure your PCI/AGP bus is locked to 33.3/66.6? AGP voltage helps if the card is having issues from high AGP bus speeds (and your card is definatly having issues with something ;)), but with your NF7 that should be no issue.

JigPu

AGP frequency is at 66MHz..... like i said before I switched over to the new omegas and it seems to be better.... I haven't stressed it yet since I upgraded the drivers but so far so good. could a corrupt driver do such a thing to a system?

spoke too soon.... still something really weird going on with the ram..... the way I have the ram configured right now I can't run in memtest with 3-4-4-11..... turned it back to 223 (which was the stable freq I had before I moved the ramsticks around), instant errors. now i can only run the ram at 3-4-4-8... this is so strange.....

My guess is you ran all the tests like prime and mem test but they dont utilize the video card,so when you kick in 3d mark,its another thing added to the mix that wasn't counted for before.

Your PSU my be at fault here, because when you kick in teh 3d games teh card starts to draw more voltage causing your rails to drop...

mystery solved...... there is some kind of bug in memetest that doesn't detect errors when I put (we'll call it stick-A) in ramslot #2. If I put (we'll call it stick-B) in ramslot #2 it works just fine, detects errors as it should. Using prime95 to detect ram errors works regardless so from now on I'll base all of my testing on prime95 since I now know that memtest is subject to failure. This really pisses me off since I like memtest. So now I'll have to start all over to find the max on my ram using prime.... wish me luck.... :mad:

Back