• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.4 p4 discontinued

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabob

intel is going to discontinue sales of the prescott 2.4 p4 533mhz HT capable this can be bought from zipzoomfly for about $160 free shipping. Is this a good deal? This is a cpu that I want to buy and run linux knoppix on. :D

yes. I got this info from intels web site in the discontinued products section.
they are still going to offer warrenty support but not sell this product anymore
I had the part # here somewhere but it is always a mess here by my computer

CRAP I SPELLED WARRANTY WRONG

Last edited:
here is a list form intels website of HT supporting cpus
3.40E
3.20E
3E
2.80E
2.80C
2.60C
& 2.40C
with proper chipset, bios settings, and software all of the above are hyper threading capable zipzoomfly also lists one of the versions of the 2.4 as HT

i was scared. ti thought at first you meant he 2.4c which i'm buying for a midrnge sound editing machine im building for someone on a tight budget. but you meant the pressy

Actually it is the Northwood 800Mhz FSB on all I should have included this in the list.
I just checked at zip again to get that intel does not indicate northwood or prescott in their list but zip does in product specs. Sorry for the wrong info.

Both the 2.4C and the 2.4E are excellent overclockers though, so for the value and performance gain they are an excellent purchase. You just need to have high performance air cooling if you want to overclock that Prescott.... I bet it has some incredible temps at 3.4 gigs.

From what I have read elsewhere on this site it seems that I would get a faster cpu with the 2.4 p4 than the the 2.8 celeron that i'm using now just because of the internal cache in the cpu itself, can anyone tell me if this is correct. The ECS mobo that I'm going to install this in is HT capable with pheonix bios that allows for adjustment of the fsb, ram voltage, cpu voltage and many other settings..

Yes the cache on the P4's is higher, but that's not the most important gain that you get from upgrading to a P4.

When you have a 2.4C, you start out with a 200 FSB (800 effective) which is quite a bit faster than the Celeron's if I remember right.... and if you oc the 2.4C to 3.4 gigs ( 3.2-3.4 is a reasonable oc on the 2.4 with good cooling), your FSB jumps to 1150 Mhz... which is significantly higher than the Celeron's FSB.

To properly oc the 2.4's you have to have several things though.

1) Good cooling... i.e a Thermalright or equivalent HS ( SLK-948 or SP-94) with a medium to high performance fan ( Panaflo H1B, Vantec Tornado, Delta HHE or EHE).

2) Some relatively fast ram... DDR 433 or 466 ( or faster if you can afford it). You can change the ratios if you have slower ram, but your performance is better if you can remain at a 1:1 FSB/RAM speed ration for as long as possible. This isn't that important for most things b/c the higher FSB you gain from overclocking usually outweighs the loss that you get from using ratios. If you use memory intensive programs though, you'll probably notice the loss quite a bit more.

this can be bought from zipzoomfly for about $160 free shipping.

IMO, that is not that great of a deal when you can get a 2.8E for $172.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-116-174&depa=0

I would agree with that.... the 2.4 Prescott has a 533 FSB and the 2.8E has a 800 FSB so if it's just 12 bucks more and you're deciding between the two I'd pick the 2.8E.

Personally, I like Northwoods better b/c they don't run as hot.... you can oc a Northwood a little with the stock HS, but the Prescotts you have to spend the money on a good HS before you oc it. You might check out the classifieds as soon as you have enough posts and look at the deals.... there are usually quite a few nice cpus for sale. I bought my 2.4C off of the classifieds to replace my 1.8A.

[edit]

Well, I just went to zipzoomfly and I was checking out their processors...... and I think that the 2.4E Prescott ( They call it a 2.4A Prescott for some reason.... even if it used the ABC scheme, it's a "B" ....that's just weird) is the best deal.

-It has the 1MB of cache ( although the longer pipeline on the Prescotts made this null compared to the Northwoods 512 cache if I remember right)

-It has an excellent potential as an overclocking chip.... which is the reason you're on the forums isn't it? Take a less expensive chip and make it beat the fastest stock processor on the market.

- It's $120 bucks which gives you enough extra cash ( compared to the 2.8E at 172 bucks) to buy a Thermalright HS and good fan to cool that puppy down. You might post a thread in the cooling section to find out about some of the newest Prescott taming HS's b/c there are quite a few new ones that I haven't looked at yet.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
The Prescott 2.4A with 533 bus and no HT is indeed called "2.4A" by Intel. Yes, I know it don't make much sense, but that's what they're called. All the Prescotts that are 800 bus with Hyperthreading are "E".

So there are now six 2.4 gig flavors... a 2.4 400 bus Northwood Celeron, 2.4 533 bus Prescott Celeron, 2.4 400 bus, 2.4B 533 bus, 2.4C 800 bus Northwood P-4's, and 2.4A 533 bus Prescott P-4.

Oh, I totally forgot that the 2.4A Prescott didn't have HT.... I guess it just depends on what you're going to do with the computer then. If your just looking for a cpu to play around with and do some gaming with, the 2.4A Prescott will handle what you're doing.... for some other things, HT may be worth it to have.

So now they have two 2.4 Celerons..... geez. Too many 2.4's.....head hurts :D

:) See I new all I had to do is ask! lots to research now thanks :)

And yes I do want to oc, I have an interest in HT just because I want to benchmark this new setup in a normal mode, hyperthreading, and then OCed in both settings just to see what kind of numbers I get.

Back