Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Anyone else think mainstream music totally sucks?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 08-24-04, 02:40 PM Thread Starter   #1
MadSkillzMan

Anyone else think mainstream music totally sucks?

anyone? am i the only one that notices no one can play their instruments and theyre just fabricated in some studio? I mean cmon the one guy from linkin park gets an ESP 7string then takes 4 of the strings off.....what logic is there?

I havent listenend to the radio in months...not only cause its terrible, but the commercials now are never ending!

Most ive listened to was 91.1 on sat monrings...its the metal show at some college station....they play lots of stuff ud never hear anywhere else..iron maiden, blind guardian, nightwish, pink floyd, Dio...etc...

ill just get lost in the 70's hard rock and underground for now..

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
ATI 9600, dual monitors - 19" AOC LCD's, 42" RCA Plasma!
OC'ed Super Drive (8x SL to 16x DL, i heart firmware flash)
Backup Rig: 4 x Dell Optiplex G270 2.8ghz HT 1Gb ram
iPod Touch 3.1.2 Jailbroken!
OSX 5.8
MadSkillzMan is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 02:41 PM   #2
Sentential
Contributing Member

Yep I agree totally. Thats why our family bought Sirius radio (aka XM). My favorite station is "Hard Attack"... hmmm anyone want to take a guess what kind of music I listen to?
Sentential is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 02:53 PM   #3
Salomon Orangge

I hate most of the music nowadays. It's all "teen angst" junk. I got XM as well in my car.. and actually... i listen to Hard Attack as well. I cant stand all that other generic, whiny, singing with a carrot up the butt, pretty boy pretending to be hardcore, skater lookalike, eyeshadow wearing, rock/rap mixing, ignoramuses who THINK that they can actually produce music.
Salomon Orangge is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 02:53 PM   #4
stockhatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentential
Yep I agree totally. Thats why our family bought Sirius radio (aka XM). My favorite station is "Hard Attack"... hmmm anyone want to take a guess what kind of music I listen to?
Polka?

AC

EDIT: Ok just what IS mainstream music? Anything on the radio? BTW, I like Linkin Park.

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT

Last edited by stockhatch; 08-24-04 at 03:05 PM.
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 03:08 PM   #5
Salomon Orangge

Linkin Park is mainstream. Exactly what I described in my post being "no talent ass clowns" to make a quote from Office Space about Michael Bolton.
Salomon Orangge is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 03:50 PM   #6
fuzzba11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomon Orangge
Linkin Park is mainstream. Exactly what I described in my post being "no talent ass clowns" to make a quote from Office Space about Michael Bolton.
Definitely no talent ass clowns. Over here all everyone listens to is the Top 40 countdown and I can't stand it. The only reliable radio stations seem to be the classic rock or oldies...mainstream definitely sucks the big one.
fuzzba11 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 03:57 PM   #7
Docta_Z

I don't listen to "hard attack". I'm pretty big into rap/hip hop and I have to agree with your points.

I can't stand mainstream rap. 50 Cent for example is annoying.

The best music is often underground music produced by people who want to make the music to express themselves, rather then to make money promoting their shoe line.
Docta_Z is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 04:26 PM   #8
SK8

One thing you wont really hear on radio is trance/dance. I live in a state that is being taken over by corn . Thers nothing here, so i love my inet radio , im looking to get a xm/sirus radio but i dont know how the trance/dance is tho. What do you xm/sirus owners think...?
SK8 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 04:30 PM   #9
sandman001
Just Freeze It

10 Year Badge

Yea, a good majority of it sucks. The occasional song is alright.

A perfect circle, taproot, and spineshank are those occasionals.
sandman001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:27 PM   #10
stockhatch

LOL no talent? Just because you dont like a certain band doesnt mean they have no talent. They have to have at least some talent, or they would not sell gazillions of tickets. Then again, I guess its possible that all the millions of people who buy their tickets/albums are ignorant and you are right.

AC

E6600(8x400) - Infinity
2x250 Perps RAID 0
P5W DH Deluxe
2GB GSkill HK
8800GTX
620HX

HEAT

Last edited by stockhatch; 08-24-04 at 05:30 PM. Reason: to remain PC
stockhatch is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:44 PM   #11
sandman001
Just Freeze It

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockhatch
LOL no talent? Just because you dont like a certain band doesnt mean they have no talent. They have to have at least some talent, or they would not sell gazillions of tickets. Then again, I guess its possible that all the millions of people who buy their tickets/albums are ignorant and you are right.

AC
*cough* pop *cough*
sandman001 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:48 PM   #12
Roboman101

i do like a fair bit of the punk from Emo to Hardcore, and stops in between. From blink-182 (from Dude Ranch to present) to good indie bands like Taking Back Sunday (the old as well as the new), Motion city Soundtrack, Dropkick Murphies, Coheed and Cambira.

and the former indies like Thursday and AFI

there is quite a punk following in my town, especially for the emo to hardcore genres, not the highly poished stuff on radio ie simple plan, avril, and to an extent New found glory
Roboman101 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:49 PM   #13
WyrmMaster
I'm a little teapot Senior

NO, if i like a bands music, i dont care who else likes them, or if everyone likes them, or if nobody likes them. I dont like groups because they are popular, i also dont NOT like them because they are popular. There are bands and types of music i dont like, and there are bands i do like, and i could care less whats mainstream and whats not.
WyrmMaster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:52 PM   #14
Dylruss

Everyone knows on XM the best stations are "BMP" and "The System". I don't know how I lived without XM!
Dylruss is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 05:59 PM   #15
Captain Slug
Helpful Senior Member

10 Year Badge

My only music source at the moment is the Chillout station at http://www.di.fm
Every now-and-then I listen to the "Sounds Of The Season" channel on DirecTV Music Choice.

Old 08-24-04, 06:05 PM   #16
Captain Newbie
Senior Django-loving Member

Keep an open mind when listening to music. In fact, keep an open mind, period. They're like parachutes, you know

All artists can have good music just not all of it is always good.

Put out my hand, and touched the face of God."

Strong * Focused * Safe
Apple Mac Pro 4,1, Two Nehalem Xeons 2.26GHzx4 (Hyperthreaded), 12 GB DDR3 FBDRAM | MacBook Pro 15" (2009)
Captain Newbie is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 06:45 PM   #17
Jeff Bolton

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrmMaster
NO, if i like a bands music, i dont care who else likes them, or if everyone likes them, or if nobody likes them. I dont like groups because they are popular, i also dont NOT like them because they are popular. There are bands and types of music i dont like, and there are bands i do like, and i could care less whats mainstream and whats not.
thank you!

i really can't stand it when people say 'mainstream sucks'. because i've heard it for so many years, and it always seems to be so unfounded. what exactly is mainstream? of course, its the most popular music. i used to say the same thing. back in like '97 before the big punk/emo/hardcore explosion i was listening to nofx, rancid, avail, etc. so you can imagine my displeasure when punk started to get popular...then i started to see 'punk' kids listening to commercialized crap, claiming 'mainstream sucks!' as if they weren't living an oxymoron. yes, people can sell out. look at blink 182. however, that doesn't mean that their music sucks.

that doesn't mean you have to like it, or that i have to like it though. if you went to a britney spears message board, there are going to be tons of preteen to midteen girls who are all about some britney, and i can say most of us would agree that her songs suck ass. no musical merit, no talent, etc. but just because we think it sucks doesn't mean everyone does. remember that the most popular music tends to be the most easily accessible by the droning masses. i'll admit, a lot of the most popular music doesn't deserve to be on the radio, but its catchy and easy to listen to...which is why it is so popular.

a lot of us have 'moved on' from radio-caliber music on to other things that aren't as radio or mtv friendly. we listen to the popular stuff for a while, but then our tastes refine and we begin to want more. how else would i have evolved from listening to the local top40 station, to listening to punk rock, to listening to electronic music, to listening to hippy music? tastes change. remember that we were all listening to mainstream music at one point...anyone that says they haven't is probably a lying.

my point? just because a band is famous doesn't mean they suck, but just because they're obscure doesn't mean they are good. some examples: tool, a perfect circle, the smashing pumpkins, etc, are all bands that have large amounts of talent but have still enjoyed commercial success. there are other smaller bands that people listen to just because they think that the more obscure a band is, the cooler they are...and a lot of the time they're obscure for a reason. but i'm rambling now. i know my opinion probably won't be extremely popular among this crowd but at least take it into consideration.

music quality is all in the eye of the beholder, and the majority of us just want more than commercial radio and tv have to offer, and just because we don't like it doesn't mean it sucks.
Jeff Bolton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 06:49 PM Thread Starter   #18
MadSkillzMan

Quote:
take a good look at the linkin park DVD. A friend of mine wanted the audio extracted so i had to watch it....take a look at the one guys guitar, he removes 4 of the strings! and its a 7 string guitar! WHY? the point of a 7 string guitar is that low B, not REMOVE MORE! i couldnt beleive it i hadda freeze frame it and count.

Also the voice is totally computerized...why do u think it sounds even worse live? Or the drummer relies on an electric kit. Not uses it here and there, RELIES on it. Theyre totally fabricated. What talented band needs to re-release every album?

i say give linkin park an acoustic drum set, and instruments that are in STANDARD TUNNING and an open mic...see how great they really are.

I used to be a member of audio galaxy. i got a banner one day that says "From the producers of PaPa Roach and (some other band) Comes DROWNING POOL" and im likle "ah hell no"

I took my girlfriend to see APC (shes a HUGE fan) they were pretty good.

We have a college station that plays EVERYTHING. Theyll play trance/techno wednesday nites...we listen to it when we go garbage picking just for laughs.

I think one of the real talented songs was Classical Gas. Most people think eric clapton wrote it, but im pretty sure it was mason williams? You never see work like that anymore.

Jimmy page is obviously another talented artist..how many guitar players today can play mandolin, banjo AND guitar for a song?

I guess i pick on these new mainstream bands so much, is because ive been playing guitar for about 5 years, AND learning all the theory as i go. I can hear, they have no idea what anyhting is. Also, i think everyone can agree with me on this one, mainstream bands are only in it for money, NOT music. Why else would u constantly release the SAME SONGS remixed? I think thats what happened to metallica..theyre songs have so little thought put into them now.

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
OSX 5.8
Old 08-24-04, 06:56 PM   #19
Syx

Oh my god, I've written dozens of rants on how much mainstream sucks, I can't begin to explain how much it sucks, jesus I hate mainstream. The only reason mainstream is popular is because the people who listen to it are idiots and they don't know what GOOD music is.
I listen to punk rock and metal, and there's no real punk or real metal in the mainstream, so it's all underground, GOOD CHARLOTE IS NOT PUNK, THEY'RE POP POSEURS. They should die.
Syx is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 06:57 PM Thread Starter   #20
MadSkillzMan

LOL i dunno who you are but i like you already.

People only like it, because theyre told to.

2x160GB Sata 1x250GB IDE
OSX 5.8

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.