• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hexnan

Im looking at buying a 2600m and i want some good stable ram to go with it that i can OC. Im not really looking to set any records, i just want a good PC for my money.

So ive been looking at this ram http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-416&depa=0.

If i were to buy that now, and lets say in 6 months i were to buy another stick of the same thing would i run into problems OC'ing it more so than buy a pre packaged dual channel kit.

Ill spend the money now on a dual channel kit if performance is an issue.

Hex

I dont hold much weight to dual channel kits.. I really dont think it makes much differnce if any. When I bought my old Corsair ram, I bought them seperately (from the same supplier) and they were perfect. Never had a problem.

The thing about buying ram separtely like one stick now and one a couple of month's later is that you run the possibility of not getting an exact same stick with same IC's like the one you buy now.

The second stick you buy might use a different version of IC"s and therefore can hinder your OC simply because one stick with IC "A" can reach a certain OC while the second stick with IC "B" can't because it's using an inferior IC.

Why do you think that OCZ doesn't sell their EB series in single sticks and are all dual channel kits. Simply because when they don't have any more of the current IC's they use for EB(mT -5BC), where are you gonna find another stick in retail/online stores sold brand new?

Im not looking for record setting speeds by any means, are there any memory choices out there that can reach 200mhz and that is stable.

From what ive read corsair xms looks like a good choice but they are very pricey.

I would like to get a gig of dual channel ddr400 for under 200$

any recommendations?

Hex

Hexnan said:
Im not looking for record setting speeds by any means, are there any memory choices out there that can reach 200mhz and that is stable.

From what ive read corsair xms looks like a good choice but they are very pricey.

I would like to get a gig of dual channel ddr400 for under 200$

any recommendations?

Hex

kingston valueram with hynix chip
or
Corsair Value Select
friend recently bought the corsair value kit and they were able to do 230~235 (didn't try pushing higher, but seems there still room), unfortunately i fried one of them :mad:

buy some heatspread and you got urself a nice looking ram :D

Back