• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone else have a hard time getting heatsinks on and off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

i have a daully, with the Stock HSF, and ive always had a really hard time getting the heatsinks on and off....its with the metal clip ...one CPU socket has a broken tab, so you HAVE to have one of the clips with 3 prongs.

i was thinking of lapping my heatsinks, but if i cant get them on/off without problems or breaking anything whats the point?

Some are harder than others. I have a Volcano 9 and it is easy, so I do not hesitate to take it off, but I have heard or other heatsinks that are harder. I recently got an SLK-900A, so I guess we will see how that is.

Sometimes the heatsink will stick to the CPU as well, especially for CPU's with heatspreaders or large cores with allot of surface area. This is because of the thermal paste squishing all the air out and it creates a vacuum.

nah its not that..its just geting that tension rod out from the socket tabs. ive seen people rest a screwdriver on it and boom its off.

A lot of it for me has to do with having the right tools for the job. I found just the right screwdriver for removing my SK7 with its tiny little screwdriver blade slot. It made things a lot easier. I still dread taking that hs off, though. I'm always afraid I'm going to stab my 3 year old motherboard and end the good times we've had with one another. :)

Ken

I usually just use a flat screwdriver and press gently...comes right out. I have a Volcano 12. Previously I had a Coolermaster and it was really hard to get off. I was afraid I was going to ram that screwdriver right through the board. Gotta be careful for sure.

Back