• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Needs tips for installing server 2003 on SATA raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

addoraa

Registered
Could really use some tips/guidelines for installing server 2003 on a SATA RAID setup. So far I have had zero luck. :cry:

thanks Andy

Was stuck at the very beginning, ie getting the BIOS to see the 2 sata drives. The BIOS setting for the SATA functions were confusing for me. The mb is a MSI 865PE NEO2-P. By default the SATA functions were disabled. I would then set them and when I rebooted it would freeze, never getting to the RAID BIOS nor would it boot from the cd. The BIOS would actually lose the CD/DVD, stating it was not installed. I'm real new to the SATA interface and have only installed OS's on a couple of machines using that interface, and never on a SATA/RAID combo.

Think I got it though. Finally got the BIOS to see the drives and got to the SATA RAID BIOS to create my RAID volume. Got the volume created and am formatting the volume now, so hopefully things will go smooth from here. Cannot think of anything I did different this time except that I now have a hard drive hooked to the primary IDE interface. One thing I noticed during server setup was that windows stated that it needed space on the IDE drive to setup server on the RAID volume. why??

Dumb question but PATA, is pata = to the ide interfaces

thanks Andy

That is odd, and yea PATA refers to IDE. You got both SATA drives set on master etc. ? Hopefully you can get to WXP setup now... remember you may need yer SATA controller drivers on a floppy for WXP install.

best way to go about it is to get your array configured, and then make sure you have no PATA hard drives attatched. Otherwise setup will put the installation files on the first PATA drive and installation will not be successful.

J.

juliendogg said:
best way to go about it is to get your array configured.

At first that was one of my problems, I could never get to the prompt that would allow me to configure the array.

juliendogg said:
and then make sure you have no PATA hard drives attatched. Otherwise setup will put the installation files on the first PATA drive and installation will not be successful. .

Found this out too once I got server installed, I had a hard drive hooked to the primary ide and server wanted to use it for the installation files, but alas all is well, disconnected the ide drive, moved the cd/dvd to the primary ide and reinstalled without a hiccup. Was a good learning experience.

thanks folks Andy

Back