• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shipping my computer cross-country!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

indimint

Next week I'm heading off to college, from California to Boston. I've never shipped a computer before, and I'm sort of nervous about it. How should I wrap it? Which carrier is the best for it? Any special tips to ensure its safe arrival?

Any advice would be appreciated :D

What I personally would do is this:
Take everything out of the case and pack everything in static bags with there own boxes. put them back in the computer and then add padding. put in a big box and there you go.
Thats what you should do if you are paranoid. If you are less paranoid take off the HSF (and maybe the cards) and pack them seperately. Wait for other people who have actually shipped there PC's to respond though. I am only going off what I would try.

I would agree with taking the HSF off as well as any cards, I would leave the motherboard screwed into your case because if you unscrew it and put it in a static bag It would possibly be flopping around and I would just be scared a capicitor or something would get knocked off.

Yeah definitely don't forget the heatsink!! I took my PC with me on the airplane, it even had its own seat!! It was cheaper for me to buy it its own seat than to purchase extra luggage room, how ridiculous is that? :D

Anyway, point of the story was that I was using a copper CAK-38 heatsink at the time, and, using only one socket piece for retention, it fell off and landed on my graphics card!! I happily plugged the system in without looking at the internals when I arrived at my hotel, and promptly fried my CPU!

fuzzba11 said:
Yeah definitely don't forget the heatsink!! I took my PC with me on the airplane, it even had its own seat!! It was cheaper for me to buy it its own seat than to purchase extra luggage room, how ridiculous is that? :D

lol, Fuzzba11, you really know how to treat a computer. ;) lol, reminds me of a Tenacious D song somehow...

Back