• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound card comparison for gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i love when they compare sound cards by frame rate instead of their real purpose... :rolleyes:

chalk this up as one more pointless review floating around the net.

Maxvla said:
i love when they compare sound cards by frame rate instead of their real purpose... :rolleyes:

chalk this up as one more pointless review floating around the net.

Well the purpose here was to see which card offered the best performance. They stated their purpose for this review quite specifically. What exactly is the "real purpose" of a sound card to you anyways? It may differ to other people so maybe this review might help others who are interested in a sound card for gaming.

Anyways, they simply noted an observation:

Timm pointed us to a couple of threads over at Shacknews suggesting that CS: Source runs at much higher frame rates when sounds are disabled. Of course, no one wants to run a game with no sound, but it raised the question: do some sound cards perform better in CS: Source than others?

And they decided to explore it further. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Last edited:
dicecca112 said:
but he didn't test soundstorm. Said it was dead, but I read an article that it's coming back.

They were running the tests with athlon 64s so they couldn't test soundstorm.

Darth said:
Well the purpose here was to see which card offered the best performance. They stated their purpose for this review quite specifically. What exactly is the "real purpose" of a sound card to you anyways? It may differ to other people so maybe this review might help others who are interested in a sound card for gaming.

Timm pointed us to a couple of threads over at Shacknews suggesting that CS: Source runs at much higher frame rates when sounds are disabled. Of course, no one wants to run a game with no sound, but it raised the question: do some sound cards perform better in CS: Source than others?

Sure, but the differenece is less than 15 percent between the fastest and slowest. Not a big difference IMO. Would you be willing to spend 2x or 3x the cost of the chaintech to get a 15 percent increase? Some people would, others wouldnt.

Comparing sound cards and NOT comparing how it sounds is pointless. Its like comparing videocards where one has better image quality, but ignoring that and only looking at framerates. Oh wait, thats actually how most videocard reviews are...

Darth said:

jammin hit it on the head. they are testing sound cards based on frame rate instead of sound.. which is their real purpose.

i have nothing against why they chose to run this test but to award the audigy series the victory without noting that it is soley based on frame rate instead of the complete package is very irresponsible.

I dont think it was irresponsible at all.The test had nothing to do with sound "quality".
Leaving out how they sound was not a forgetful mistake because they never planned on it anyway.I mean they even included the frame rates with sound disabled,so there was no "complete package" there.

Well,maybe they should have mentioned that all the cards dont sound the same so dont buy one based on these tests alone.Some people could be misled.

stratcatprowlin said:
Well,maybe they should have mentioned that all the cards dont sound the same so dont buy one based on these tests alone.Some people could be misled.
exactly :cool:

Minimal differences for the most part. See the "Entertainer 7.1" card? It's very similar to Chaintech card just with a little different board layout and S/PDIF in. Uses VIA reference drivers like Chaintech card so Chaintech AV-710 should perform as well. Only ~2 fps difference to Audigy2 ZS :)

Back