• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weird Problem with my 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I recently did some work to shorten the tubing on my system because the waterline that came out of the GPU waterblock was to long and I couldn't get the side panel of my case on without causing the tube the kink. Anyway, I get things good and ready and when I turn the system on nothing happens. The computer comes on, but no POST beeps and the screen stays blank so I shake the card a little bit thinking that the movement of the card while shaking the rad and bleeding the case may have slightly jarred the card out of the AGP port. Turn the computer back on and it works, so I'm happy.

Well this is where things start getting weird. Everything looks fine from the start. I start playing Doom3 again and it ran fine. Then I try to see if I can clock my graphics card a little more and while running 3DMark2k3 the screen shuts off. I hit the reset button, but it does not come back on, so I shake the card a little again, try to turn the thing back on, but nothing. I shake it a little more, and presto, the system comes back on. I reboot into windows and put my graphics card clock speed to its last stable speed.

Everything looks fine again. I play some NFS:Underground for an hour with no problems. Go off and do other things for a couple of hours and come back to play some Tiger Woods golf, but while playing golf the computer crashes, and you guessed it, The same problem occured, except this time it took several times of shaking the card, moving some tubing, before I could the get the system to boot again. Now, as with the other cases, the screen would go off and when I hit the reset button no POST beeps, just fans coming on, HDs spinning up, etc.

I manage to get the computer on again, but by this time I am ready to go to bed. I remember that during reinstallations of the rad it sprung a leak at the fittings. When this happened. I re-tightened the clamps and cleaned up the liquid. I checked to see if any spilled on any of the components, but luckily enough my rad was mostly outside the case when this happened. I believe the position of the tubing while bleeding my WCing system cause the hose to slightly come loose. Well to be safe I let it sit for a couple of hours rechecked for leaks before turining it on. This was before this whole mess began, but to get back on track, remembering this happening I decide to leave my computer off overnight and hopefully if any liquid was still around it would evaporate by the time I get up in the morning.

Well I get up this morning and turn my system on again, and same problem again. Do the same thing I have been doing to solve the problem and, once again, after a few attempts I manage to get my computer on again. I turn it off again and reset my graphics card to see if that was the problem, but when I go to turn it on, again, nothing. Shake it a little again, and presto it comes back on.. and this is where I'm at right now typing this thread.

Well this problem got me stumped. My system specs are in sig. I currently downclocked my graphics card to 400/1100 (3D) from the speed seen in my sig. The GPU is cooled by a Swiftech MCW50 wb and the memory cooled by Tweakmonster BGA RAMsinks. My PSU is an Enermax 460W. With that I have a WD 74GB Raptor, 2x WD 120GB HDs in RAID 0, and 2x 60GB Maxtor HDs in JBOD. I had to remove the daughter power card that comes with Gigabyte mobos to make room for my rad, but took the LED lighted fan of the card and used it to replace the fan on my NB. Also on one occasion, when putting the side panel back onto my case after getting the system to POST it would crash again. The fans on the side panel do push up against the tubing, but it doesn't look by much.

On a side note, there was a power failure in my apartment complex during the period when I was bleeding the WCing system. I don't know if that would have affected my computer, but I am hooked up through an APC surge protector and it didn't trip the surge supression.

Well if you got this far, do you have any ideas what this maybe? I'm stumped. I've tried everything I could think of, and was hoping you guys might have an idea of what is going on. This problem only started occuring after the work I did on the tubing. Before then my system worked perfectly fine. I was thinking of formating and reinstalling Windows. I don't see how that would help, but right now I am all out of ideas.

I'm going to head off to work now, and hopefully my computer hasn't crashed yet when i get back. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
Well so far hasn't given me any problems since this morning. Played a couple of sessions of Doom and NFS:U so I'm hoping this problem doesn't pop up again, but just in case I'm going to give this a bump.

sound's like a grounding problem.
when you have to wiggle it and move thing's around to get it to work it's almost alway's shorting somewhere.

Back