• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinstalling windowsXP.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ganonshin

Registered
Hi everyone,

I have a pc with windowsXP on it already but I want to format my hard drive and reinstall windowsXP. I have a windows disk with the computer but the instructions arn't very clear. Basically do I just format my drive then stick the disk into the cd drive and, will it set up itself?

Also I have a product key on a sticker stuck on the side of my computer will I have to re-enter this when I install so I can get updates?

If i'm completely wrong can someone guide me in the right direction? If i'm on the right path can someone give me anymore pointers I may need to know? or something I have missed out.

Thank you very much and keep up the good work.

Just stick you windows CD in the CD rom drive and reboot. Your machine should boot directly from the CD and begin the install program. It's pretty self explanatory from there. And yes, you will need to re-enter the number from the sticker on the side of your machine.

Boot to the windows xp cd, and it will allow you to manage/delete/create partitions and then install windows xp, you'll need that key during the installation process.
Basically while you're in the setup you want to delete the partition(IT WILL DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE DRIVE) and then create a new one and install windows on that.
good luck :)

if you want to manually format like in old school DOS, when the CD asks you... choose 'R' for recovery console. Once you see the prompt similar to a DOS prompt, type 'format c:'.

Then you can restart and install... at least thats what I do.

I put my windowsXP disk in to see what it comes up with. When I am given the option to install that is one I choose right, not the upgrade option? Its just that it says advanced for install and recommened for upgrade.

And seeing as everything will be deleted from my hard drive will my motherboard behave alright seeing as there will be no audio drivers chipset drivers etc? Or have I completely lost the plot?

Thank you.

You want to install, but make sure you are erasing the old files first, you might want to format first.

Yes the mobo will behave fine, once windows boots it will ask for drivers or install them itself. If you have a network card or onboard LAN and a broadband connection it might even download them from the windows update site for you.

Then comes the long task of patching windows.

Windows will load generic drivers for some hardware, you will have to reinstall the others, having all needed drivers( video,lan,modem etc...) on a cd comes in ver handy on a reinstall.

-Milkman

I have just heard from a person that provides IT support that you can not reinstall windowsXP sp2, something about closing all holes from reinstalling and closing the security loophole of you reformatting.

If this is true would that mean you have to buy a new hard drive to install windowsXP from fresh?

At the moment I haven't got sp2 installed, so will I be alright?

Is patching all the windows updates? also I have a registered version of Norton anti virus, will I still receive updates for this? I still have the product key for it.

Thank you.

ganonshin said:
I have just heard from a person that provides IT support that you can not reinstall windowsXP sp2, something about closing all holes from reinstalling and closing the security loophole of you reformatting.

If this is true would that mean you have to buy a new hard drive to install windowsXP from fresh?

Holy *%@$, I hope this is not true. This would mean that every time windows borked you would require either a new HD and/or a new copy of windows. So far the longest I have gone without reinstalling windows98 is like 6-8 months and so far, my experience with XP it was 3 months b4 it was corrupt and needed to be reinstalled.

ganonshin said:
Is patching all the windows updates? also I have a registered version of Norton anti virus, will I still receive updates for this? I still have the product key for it.
Thank you.

You will have to reinstall norton from scratch and if you downladed it you will have to wait on them. My dad waited like 2 weeks b4 they responded.

This IT person must have thought I meant a repair not a complete install from scratch.

I have a legit copy of Norton anti virus, I should be able register it again and get updates like I get now, true??

Also my monitor and dvd-rw don't seem to be on the list of drivers that come with windowsXP, so when I reinstall it will I be able to see what i'm doing and use my dvd-rw. It seems like a stupid question but I have to ask.

Thank you.

You can re-install windows even if you have sp2 installed, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, I had to do an install for a hardware change it was no problem just had download sp2 and all the other s**t again

Back