• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bypassing VGA Fan Port

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uLJSANE

Registered
Is it possible to bypass the fan port completely ?

I am curious because my video card uses a 3 pin fan connector and i want to use the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer rev.3 which uses a 2 pin connector.

Could I use this ....
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cab-32.html?mv_pc=762

Plug the VGA Silencer in the 2 pin side and and the 3 pin side into the motheboard , avoiding the video card fan power connector completely?

Will the video card beep and explode when it realizes that its not using the fan power port.?!?

Thank YOU ! :eh?:

EDIT : Fixed Link.

save your money and take the 3pin plug from the stock cooler,take a needle and lift the plastic flaps on the stock hsf plug to pull the wires out, note where the red and black wires are on the stock hsf plug, repeat for the silencer, and plug the red and black wires into the the 3pin plug, just leave the other pin slot empty, it was just an rpm wire
uLJSANE said:
Is it possible to bypass the fan port completely ?

I am curious because my video card uses a 3 pin fan connector and i want to use the Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer rev.3 which uses a 2 pin connector.

Could I use this ....
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cab-32.html?mv_pc=762

Plug the VGA Silencer in the 2 pin side and and the 3 pin side into the motheboard , avoiding the video card fan power connector completely?

Will the video card beep and explode when it realizes that its not using the fan power port.?!?

Thank YOU ! :eh?:

EDIT : Fixed Link.

why not just plug the fan directly into the mother board and ignore the fan header on the video card? i havn't run into a card yet that won't function without the fan attatched to it's own pcb. What do you think the guys do that have waterblocks on their gpu's? hook some random fan to the vid card just so it'll work? nahhhhh. Don't worry about it bro.

J.

the plug from the ati silencer doesn't plug straignt into the mobo, he would have to buy the connector he linked

Thank You Sooo much Juilendogg and Bobmanfoo. Although saving the money is very tempting ... i dont know if i trust myself with a needle and pushing stuff out...... i am sure i wouldnt break somehting but i have to order my Vga Silencer rev3 online anyway for 2.50 i think i will save my self some time ... Thank You Again.

Back