• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512mb video cards hit market? now what..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didnt check, but is this the wildcat series of render cards? They've been around for over a year... but where about £2000 :eek:

~t0m

when will 512 mb and 1 gig mb video cards hit the market? because thats what youll need for unreal 3.

They're workstation cards, workstation cards need the extra vram sometimes, sure you could use it for gaming but it wouldn't be that good. Too many people think that the more memory a card has the better it is. This one kid thought his 256mb FX5200 was just as good as current cards because of how much ram it had.. okay wheres my piano wire.

And for unreal3, they don't even have an unreal3 in development, only the engine.

Video Output - 2048 x 2048 / 60 Hz - 32-bit color

wow now thtz jus insane....

i guess if they were for gaming we would already knoe ..

I read that 512MB cards based on x800xt and GF6800u will be out in september but that was a while ago, I'd be happy if the 256MB cards showed up in stores by then... Maybe they meant the 512MB cards will be paper launched in sept so following recent trends you should be able to buy them in early 2005? I dug up the link I read it at (see below).

I can't imagine that the cards will be available any time soon though, I was under the impression that the reason there aren't many (any?) high end cards available now is because there isn't enough GDDR3 RAM out there right now (I don't remember if Nvidia is using GDDR3 or DDR2 in this generation). Doubling the amount of RAM on the cards can't help the already severe market shortage...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=17324

EDIT: seems I remembered a few details incorrectly since I read the article so long ago... 512MB cards will be the refresh cards for this generation (ie. R480 [x900xt?]) and they said autumn not september.

Last edited:
BackBreaker said:
when will 512 mb and 1 gig mb video cards hit the market? because thats what youll need for unreal 3.

Wasn't the Unreal 3 engine demo running on a 6800 Ultra? (256MB).

its not like ill be able to afford em when the come out but .. they will lower 256mb prices since x800 and 6800 wont be soo "top of the line" anymore

Or just charge way more for the 512mb version. That extra RAM isn't cheap to produce either...

funko said:
no no the UE3.0 wasnt running real-time on anything.
Durring E3 perhaps (every site gives pretty much nVidia's canned press release which mentions nothing about it actually being realtime), but the engine was shown off realtime durring the Gamers Development Conference a few months earlier. (Article)

EDIT: The article mentions some of the stuff seen durring the GDC, and it follows along very closely with the E3 demo. I'm not saying E3 was definatly done in realtime, but it very well could have been.
JigPu

Last edited:
plus the deomonstration only had a few characters on screen at a time and in the event there were more than a few then there was a minimalist background sometimes just a black emptiness

Back