• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD drive and floppy not being recognized

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

austinbmxnig

When I boot to desktop and check in my computer it does not show my A: or D: drives. I go to add hardware in the control pannel and after it searches for recently connected hardware my DVD drive appears in My Computer but my floppy doesnt. It's super annoying to do this every time I restart my computer just so I can access my DVD drive. Why would it do this, and what can I do to fix it?

On another note, my floppy does not work. I recently bought a rounded floppy cable and installed it. I've double and tripple checked, making sure the twist is at the right end and the power is plugged in. But still windows will not recognize my floppy. Before I had the rounded cables my floppy worked just fine, but now it doesn't. At first I thought it was a power problem because the green led would never come on, but I've tryed multiple 4 pin connectors from my power supply. Im really confused as to why it wouldnt work. In the past when it didn't recognize my floppy, it would still show up in My Computer but when I tryed to open it, it would just ask me to insert a disk. Now it doesnt even show up.

I got the same problem as yours and i havent found a way to it, my mobo or winxp couldnt recognize my DVD/CD-RW and they are properly configured from master/slave drive.....

How bout try and configure things in bios...set everything to auto detect to the drives etc...

I have everything on auto detect, and I can get my DVD drive to work when I search for recently connected hardware. But it isn't recently connected, its been on there for months now.

Have you tried making sure there are no bent pins or tried replacing the ATA ribbon? I had a similar problem and replaced the ATA ribbon with a nice new ATA133 connector and that fixed the problem.

Back