• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

August 25, 2004 "We plan to release major version 4 of BOINC and SETI@Home tomorrow."

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AudiMan

August 25, 2004 "We plan to release major version 4 of BOINC and SETI@Home tomorrow."

I wonder what kinds of changes will be made, and doesn't tomorrow mean in a few weeks in their language?

Since that post they have brought everything down for another bug problem :rolleyes:

AudiMan said:
I wonder what kinds of changes will be made, and doesn't tomorrow mean in a few weeks in their language?

I'm running Version 4.05 over on ClimatePredictor right now which is what I understand SETIatHome is moving to whenever it happens and I can't see any major obvious changes. They may have done some internal stuff that is not obvious on the surface. One thing that ClimatePredictor does take advantage of is BOINC's "tickle" feature which apparently means that BOINC contacts the project servers on some predetermined schedule(like once every 24hrs.), and gives the project a status report. In the case of a project like CP which has WUs that extend over weeks, they actually award credits based on these status reports. I had only been running CP for about 15hrs., on one machine and was already given 75 credits.
I'm not sure of how moving from 3.20 to 4.whatever is going to be handled, in my case the machine I installed 4.05 on was a cleanly installed OS and had no previous BOINC installation to worry about.

SkyHook

Stryfe said:
At least this downtime was less than a day.
No, it's still down. They're supposedly generating units, but the schedulers aren't taking or giving units.

TC said:
No, it's still down. They're supposedly generating units, but the schedulers aren't taking or giving units.

I did just pick up 2 ( TWO ) wu's about 30 minutes ago and all of my "Ready to Report" status were sent to the schedulers. I was reading on the Boinc Forum and found this message from Rom Walton:

Due to the database performance, the transitioners are roughly running 12 hours behind our current time.

Basically that means that from the time we fixed the splitters it'll take 12 hours before the transitioners hit the new batch of workunits.

----- Rom
BOINC Development Team, U.C. Berkeley

Oh well, I've had three computers on all afternoon and none of them have received nor returned anything.

TC said:
Oh well, I've had three computers on all afternoon and none of them have received nor returned anything.
I did a manual update and that is when I got my 2 whole wu's and sent the 'ready to report'. Otherwise, nothing for me on my two pc's since this morning.

Back