• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with WinXp home ed. install on new SATA hd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxiKana

Well my problem is the following:

I've just got a WD raptor 36 gig, Windows can find the HD, i've formatted it, the sata controller sees it and everythings fine. BUT I cannot install windows on it.

When I press f6 to install the SATA drivers I have to use a floppy, but there is no floppy with my SATA controller drivers with my motherboard, they are on a CD. And in the helpfile on the cd, they say this about the floppy install. Someone help me decrypt it.

Installing Driver During New Windows XP Installation
1a. Floppy Install: Boot the computer with the Windows XP installation diskettes.
1b. Floppyless Install: Boot from floppy and type "WINXP". After files have been copied,
the system will reboot. On the reboot, press <F6> after the message
"Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration..." appears.
1c. CD-ROM Install: Boot from the CD-ROM. Press <F6> after the message
"Press F6 if you need to install third party SCSI or RAID driver" appears.
2. When the "Windows XP Setup" window is generated, press "S" to Specify an Additional
Device(s)
3. Press "O" to select "Other" and press the "Enter" key.
4. Insert the Promise Technology driver into the CD-ROM Drive: and press "Enter" key.
5. Choose "WINXP Promise FastTrak 376 (tm) Controller" from the list that appears on screen,
then press the "Enter" key.
6. The Windows XP Setup screen will appear again saying
"Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices:"
The list will include "WINXP Promise FastTrak 376 (tm) controller"..

But, I found the two files I need on the CD, fasttx2k and txtsetup.oem. But when I copy them to the floppy and try to specify the scsi or raid controller in the winxp setup I get an error about some file on line 18 somewhere on my winxp CD. So basically I cannot install WinXp on my SATA hd. Anyone have any idea on how to solve this?

Yeah it is, I've now tried dloagin the fast track drivers from a site and it still gives me the error. I now also took a pic of the error, so i'll type it.

File /WinXP\fasttx2k.sys caused an unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in d:\xpsp1\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

Press any key to continue...

I have had the same problem, with my sata drivers that came with my mobo. My problem was solved by changing the floopy drive itself. Also try a clean floppy, well formated and load the files you need there... There is no way you should not be able to install XP on that drive. Windows just does not see the files, they are corrupt files, thats why you get that error....or the floopy is just not reading properly. Try even just physically pressing on the floopy drive when windows start reading from floppy when pressing F6.

Right.. I fixed the first problem. Now I can't install ATI drivers, gives me a BSOD when I boot my comp after I install the drivers, and im forced to reboot into safe mode and remove the drivers via system restore. FFS someone HELP ME!

How did you fix the first problem???
Remember your order of installition should be something like this:
1. Install XP (Do not install anything after this, except sata or adapter drivers)
2. Install driver for LAN connection and log on to Windows update, install all the M$ staff, including Service P1. (I would rather wait to install SP2, its up to you)
3. Install Directx 8, and all the MS staff you will ever need, eg M$ Media Player, etc
4. Now install the latest chipset drivers, for NF2 go to nvidia website and download the latest drivers (or those that are known to be most stable.....from forum gossips..LOL)
5. Now install your ATI catalyst drivers
6. All the rest
7. No problem.
8. Make a Norton Ghost image !!!!!!

Yeah, I always do it in that order, except that I install my AV protection right after installing my network drivers. And no worky.

BTW, I used the 4.8 cats.

Back