• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do, what to do..... 9800pro, 6800NU or ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BrandonV

I currently have a 9800pro (R350 core, hynix mem) and its only a decent overclocker at best. I have the oppertunity to get my $200 back from this card and use it for something else.
I cannot spend more than $300 (including the $200 from my 9800)

Options:
-Order a Saphine 9800 Pro and hope its got the 360 core and better memory
-Get a 6800NU and hope the price doesn't drop in a month
-Hold on to my pennies for these supposed 6600GT and X800GT to hit the streets and use my backup (9500pro 370/310) in the meantime. The x800Pro or 6800GT may even drop in price by then.

am I wasting my time thinking about the 9800pro and 6800NU?

IF it were me, I would save that $300 and keep saving ti'll the next line of cards comes out......

I learned my lesson when i purchased my 9800 Pro it was on a regular price then the next week after that they had a huge price cut.....Then the next 2 months they released the 6800GT and the X800 cards, If only I waited i would've had a better card with the same price tag.....lolzzz....

Vflux

Personaly I would get the X800 series and stay away from the NVidia stuff. Not that I thinki they are bad cards or anything I just think the X800 are more bang for the buck.

Xstatic said:
Personaly I would get the X800 series and stay away from the NVidia stuff. Not that I thinki they are bad cards or anything I just think the X800 are more bang for the buck.

I actually ordered a X800 pro fro $333 from the Dell deal in Cyberdeals, but I missed the initial shipments and my order got pushed back to 10/21/04 so I cancelled it. I can also get one from the LA Computer Fair for $380, so I may end up doing that if my funds increase.

Thx.

it all depends on when you buy. i got my 9700pro RIGHT when it came out for like $650 canadian (a steal at the time).

it was one of the fastest cards for the better part of 3 years. i could OC it to 9800 speeds, and it is serving me well to this day. i'm holding out for a x800xt at a good price (ie$500ish canadian), and i know it will do me good for at least another 2 years.

I agree wit Vflux . . . save ur money and wait for the revisions of the new gen cards to come out at the end of the year. Then maybe GTs will have a little better price tag. Personally I wouldn't buy anything right now except for new generation cards, unless you can get a great deal on the older gen cards. But I guess it all comes down on what you wanna play in the near future. If what you wanna play is next gen shooter, u gots to get a next gen card basically.

iceberg_slim said:
If what you wanna play is next gen shooter, u gots to get a next gen card basically.

Sorry, but this is tripe. If by next gen shooter you mean Halife 2 and STALKER, you do not need a next generation card (the 6800s or the x800s) to run them. A 9800 pro will do wonderfuly in either, and I've seen a 9600 pro running a beta build (not the leak) of HL2 at 1024x768 at high settings at 40-50 frames in outdoor environments.

keep your 9500 pro, its fast enough to run any game out there anyway. wait a couple years to upgrade to something thatll give a big increase. also make sure you have a 4GHz a64 too ;)

Xstatic said:

What, because you own an ATi card? If you looked at benchmarks and overclocking results, you'd edit your post :rolleyes:

I would wait as well for a little while longer, maybe at least till prices go down a bit if you dont want to wait for the next gen. I know that is what I will be doing, my 9800pro serves me great.

Oh, and please dont start another ati vs nvidia argument.

I'm not a fanboy. I could care less who is faster ATI or NV. Who ever is faster is usually who I tell people to go with if they are wanting the the best. If it was NV then I would say so. NV only beats ATI a little bit in doom3 and it is said to be fixed with a driver. Then again its a opengl game so its supposed to win. There are hundreds of games out there and right now ATI is winning the majority.

All I care about is price vs performance ratio. I got a AMD cause of the same reason. Not because AMD is just flat out better because they arent. They get beat in some tests just like they win some. I got a ATI cause of a great deal and I didnt like the FX series in highend games that I play so I dont use them in my main gameing rig. But i got 2 FX cards in 2 of my other machines and a few ATI cards in some of my machines.

oh gawd. the x800pro is a crippled, overpriced card. it's obvious. look at different benchmarks in diff systems with diff games at the 6800gt outperformes in every situation. for similar prices get a 6800gt.

oh and as for the original post. don't buy a 6800, they are even more cippled then an x800pro.

what are you talking about man? the x800pro is not crippled, its a very fine card thats just as good as the 6800gt depending on the game. wins some, loses some

Zork said:
Did I miss something, whats special about November?

haha, I think he means wait until the next-gen cards come out, or maybe he means wait until whatever games come out in November, or maybe he means that santa is coming early this year and he'll bring you a brand new video card for free, or maybe he means that he should just wait 2 months...

Back