• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Modem and Router.... Not too pricey!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeLoS

I've been trying to help a friend find a suitable wireless modem router combo, he has 3 or 4 comps, one of which he'd like to have internet access wirelessly, his current has been hacked a few times and has some issues, so he needs something that'll be worth the cash but not be super hard to config or setup, he does'nt have any wireless cards fitted yet so he's aware of the costs........

He needs a Modem/Router with reasonable secruity that'l allow both wireless and wired access from his computers.......

I'd like to recommend a Linksys as i've always found mine to be the muts nuts.......

Linksys however are a bit slim for choices when it comes to Modem/router combos in the wireless section.........

He was recommended the Draytec Vigor2600g by another friend but the price is over double of alot of other products......

Could anyone lend a bit of personal experience or advice to shed some light on this?....... or just some general comments on the matter..

THANX to anyone in advance i'll appreciate anything you have to offer! :D

What about the Netgear DG834G or the Linksys WAG54G, both fairly cheap. Have a look Here...

I just bought a DG834G from them, so far I have had no problems with it, decent wireless signal and no drops/crashes on the adsl :)

The WAG54G is good

are you sure he wants a wireless MODEM?? Those are for expensive cellular internet....

I'm pretty sure from what you describe he wants a Wireless router and an adaptor of some kind, PCI, USB etc.

None of this is going to save him from being 'hacked' though. Only education about security will do that, an ISP that uses dynamic IPs doesn't hurt either.

Yeah we looked at those 2 as well as the Vigor, the reason he needs wireless is due to one of the comps in the house being in a place wires really are not gonna be able to or he'd not like them to go....... so he wants it for the sake of that one comp, but he wants the other 2 comps to go be wired in like a regular router......... I'll look into the above a bit more......

Secruity is'nt really an issue if you take good measures to protect yourself as you said, he's just has issues with settings resetting on his current router that opened holes in his secruity..... extra secruity features are always nice, but if they don't help on the essential secruity and only work as an extra its pointless having them unless you really can utilize them and have the cash to burn.

I'll post back soon....

Yeah i think the Linksys and Netgear both have all the features my buddy needs, but some other buds have interest in the Vigor, though i'd tend to argue its better for business setupss and would a bit of waste of money for the home use its intended to be for my buddy.

Back