• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency: Deleted USB Thumb Drive Partition by accident

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GameFAQsRolo

Official Cool Guy
Commerce, Los Angeles County, California, USA
I'm reformatting my sister's laptop so I backed up a few of her documents on my 64MB thumb drive. I forgot to take it out! I booted with the WinXP Pro cd and deleted the partitions which included the thumb drive. :bang head Now I'm just wondering what to do to get them back...? I've tried reading up on data recovering programs, but none of them really seem to help in my situation. The only one I thought would work is File Scavenger, but it finds nothing(maybe I have the wrong settings?). I'm not too worried yet because all her important files are in her email and palm pilot, but I would hate for her to lose these documents(resume, job application stuff, and some other important personal information). She will be able to replace it, but it would be some work.

Is the data lost? Any way to get it back by any means(except pay services)? Right now I'm about to try Hiren's BootCD 6.0 to see if I can navigate the drive through DOS. Any help or suggestions?

*EDIT* The drive is detected fine in windows and is listed on My Computer, but when I try to access it, it says "Please insert a disk into drive I:"

*EDIT 2* Is it possible to make it an active partition again without losing any of the files? I used some DOS tools that are for recovering partitions, but none of them work for the USB drive. If I just made it an active partition again with Windows XP would I lose the data?

Last edited:
I found a couple links that sound like they might help, but I want to make sure no one has any suggestions before I try it. Here are the links
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=245725
http://www.petri.co.il/recover_a_deleted_ntfs_fat32_volume_in_windows_xp_2003.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=247575

Has anyone ever tried this before? In Disk Management under Computer Management, the USB drive is listed fine and I can make it an active partition. When I run dskprobe.exe, I'm wondering if it'll detetct it also(doesn't list it now, but that's probably because it isn't a partition yet).

Before I alter the drive in any way, I just want to make sure I have no other choice.

I have not heard of anyone successfully resurrecting a wrongly formated flash drive. If you do try and are successful with it please keep us in the loop. I have seen at least one other thread on it recently.
PS good luck!

I had your same problem a while back. Even with WinHex I was unable to recover anything.

Due to the nature of flash drives (the fact that they are solid-state), you're probably not getting any of that stuff back.

Yea, that's what it seems like. I just tried reactivating the partition and replacing the boot sector with the old one and it didn't work. Thanks for that reply ThePerfectCore, I just needed to hear that someone else has tried this. I probably won't work on it anymore unless my sister asks me to(I doubt she will). The next step was going to be to use a hex editor, but I probably won't try for more than a couple minutes.

If I give up, I'll be back to confirm it.

Ok, I just tried looking the drive with XVI32 and I get "Error opening file". So using a hex editor won't work either.

I'll be giving up for now. If anyone has anything in the next couple days, that would be great, I won't be touching the drive until then. If no one has anything, I'm going to just format it and never, ever leave the USB drive plugged in unless I'm using it. :mad: :bang head

Back