• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati drivers for laptop running linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Busty St. Clair

i'm considering an amd 64 laptop but all of the good ones only have ati cards. i know there are some sites that have homemade drivers for the card but i'm looking for a linux 64bit driver for the 9700mobile. if anyone has a link that would be greatly apreciated.

Laptops with linux = not easy + ati mobile drivers = massive headache.

Its not going to be easy, Im not saying that its impossible, but a64 coupled with ati and laptop stuff is going to be a venture to say the least. I think somehting like gentoo is going to be required for any kind of luck.

As mantioned check rage forums forums.gentoo.org and good old google. Check into the laptops you are looking at before you buy, Im sure some are easier than others. Heck some might not even work.

ati mobile wont work right, my laptop simply has it on the vesa drivers ok for everything except multimedia and gaming (wont do that). The laptop part, well fedora core 2 installed without hitches except for the above mentioned mobile ati problem.

thx for the replies. i didn't know anyone responded because for some reason i dont get email alerts any more for replies. I really wish there was a good a64 laptop with a mobile nvidia card in the us. i know there is one in europe but that doesn't help me. the only ones i could find in the US have a measly mx440 which is quite out dated if u know what i mean.

Back