• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom WC for under $100 (better than any kit)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slaya

Hey, all to often I see people posting to ask the quality of POS water cooling kit that's priced at ~$100, but isn't worth a penny.. Oh and how could I forget the people who just come right out and say "what do I buy." So I am here to give you guys a list of parts that you can purchase which will fit your price range.

If you're someone like me and don't want to spend too much to enter the great journey of water cooling, and yet still have something you can be proud of, this is for you!

Parts list:

$45 - Waterblock: Swiftech MCW6002, choose the one supports your processor
or
$25 - Waterblock: Spir@l

$18 - Heatercore: 1986 Chevrolette Chevette
or if you have room I hear the Bonneville core is great.

$17 - Pump: Via Aqua 1300, try using 6892 as a coupon code or something.. may work

$8.30 - Tubing: 10' ClearFlex60, search for 5231K237 to find it (shipping price included)

$9 - Fan: 120MM Panoflo, feel free to change this if you'd like

$5 - Hose clamps/Tee

There ya go! personally I recommend the Swiftech MCW6002(my block) over the Spir@l, evan if you have to save up a lil' more.. but if you're a real cheapo, what can I say..

I hope this helps many people get into water cooling!

GL

-SlaYa :cool:

Last edited:
Almost looks like my setup, but I have a MCW5002, I'll be lookin to change that soo possibly, industrial tubing but cost was the same, 4x 80mm fans instead of one 120mm and a Hydor L30 pump...

Cost: 90$ CDN :) Good post tho, more water is better :)

As in you can only buy 10', I ordered 7' and recived 10' and went back and checked I was charged for 10'.

the TC-4 is a little better than the spiral from what i've seen, and its the same price.

'77 bonneville core is about the same price, and twice as big. :)

Icebl@ster, where did you purchase your tubing from? my link has it from MCMaster.com, I don't know how much you paid for, or where you got it but its $.65 for a foot, $1.95 extra is fine for a little extra incase you upgrade in the future or change around your setup...

Como, yes I know the TC-4 is better, but I haven't seen it in stock anywhere, although I haven't spent much time searching for it.. If you have a link please tell :)

Edit: Como, about the Bonneville, read my first post..
$18 - Heatercore: 1986 Chevrolette Chevette
or if you have room I hear the Bonneville core is great.

Do you need a fan shroud with this setup? If so where could I buy One? Don't want to make one!!!! Also what is the measurement on the bonnie core?

malinois1 said:
Do you need a fan shroud with this setup? If so where could I buy One? Don't want to make one!!!! Also what is the measurement on the bonnie core?

check the classified section.

ummm any other heater cores from cars I can request at the local auto store?? that corvette one says unavailible in stores and web.

What did you use for a resevore??

Ok so what im thinking at is.. .Ordering the water block, and should be able to pick up pump and hoses at Petco, then heater core at autostore, and having leftover fans. So this works out great.

Last edited:
you dont NEED a resovoir, its not a must you could just do a t-line and fill water through that and bleed it through that uts much easer and less exspensive too :) but if you want a resovoir go rigt ahead, its just for stuff to work with id say...

g-dawg said:
Have any pics to post? :cool:
DSCF0034.JPG

malinois1 said:
For the chevette, you can search the forums for the tupperware container that fits exactly the size of the core, you will have to cut out a cirlcle for the fan and holes, not very hard though.

hypertek said:
great!! I was about to buy one of those cheapo kits but this guide is perfect...
Glad I could help :), and for your other questions.. I couldn't get a chevette core at autozone either, they said it was unavailible where I lived but pretty much all the other local auto stores had it. I got mine from Napa, it was a was a few more bucks though. If anything you could get dtek jr120 core, which is slightly smaller which will result in a slight decrease in performance (not sure if you will actually see that performance difference in temps), but it comes with barbs so no fuss trying to get the tubing on.

*You will need to put the end of the tubing in boiling water for a couple of seconds to get it to slide over the heater core pipe/barbs, not too hard though, just not fun.

Oh and yeah you don't need a resevioir, a Tee line is just fine. If you'd like, you can make one for pretty cheap instead of buying an expensive one, look up a guide! I'm thinking of making a T-line resevoir thing, where the top barb on the Tee goes into a res, for looks.

Back