• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alright, i need help with the S-video

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avg

Since I got a new dvd :D player for the computer and that is the only one in the house I would like to connect my pc to the tv, but here is where I run into problems since I wasn't watching dvds before I didn't mind that I was getting crappy black an white image on the tv :-/ so I didn't try to fix it, but now I want to get it fixed. What I want to know is if anyone has the same problem (or had and fixed it) or if you had no problem at all, I would like what cable you used and if you used a converter to get it working? Thanks for you help. :D

you sure overlay isnt on? because it should be color. try rca cable.. convert the svideo to rca(yellow cable) and plug it into your tv.(the svideo->rca shouldve came with your card, it did with my bba r9800pro)

if that doesnt work theres something up with the card. try messing round with the settings

B/W picture is normaly caused by either s-video/composit mismatch or pal/ntsc mismatch

Make sure your card, the cable and your TV all expect the same signal. For instance, set your card to output s-video, use a s-video cable connected to the s-video port on the tv and make sure the tv is set to display s-video.

Many tv's have a dual mode AV input, so it can input either s-video of composit. MAKE SURE it's set right. That setting accounts for about half of the B/W questions posted on this forum.

I was messing around with the s-cable and the image quality is a lot better, no more lines across the screen or anything, but it is still black and white and have checked the setting and it's all where they are supposed to be.

I'm going to try the s-video to rca now and see if that works.

edit: I tried the rca and i get color but there is some horizontal lines moving up the screen. I got a pic of my s-video that I bought and gave me the b/w screen and the one that came with the card.
IMG_0410.jpg

the one with less pins is the one giving black and white picture, I think I'm going to get a new cable and see if that works, I'm not sure because I never had any problems with my old fx5200 and this cable.

Last edited:
i went out and spent $80 canadian on a really long good quality svid cable to run to my tv. i have always used the tv-out, but i eventually needed something longer.

so i get the cable, everything works perfect, then one day POOF i get nothing but black and white. seems someone tripped on the wire, it broke one of the pins off on the tv end, and voila no more colour. a new cable and i'm back on track.

try a new cable, keep your receipt just in case, and it should work.

hopefully that is my problem, when I first got my 9800pro I had color but then it just went way, I'm just hope it's not the tv s-video in is not broken.

i think to break the svid in, you'd have to jam something in it. its a pretty tough plug (at least on my tv, sony trinitron 32') and its female, so unless the pin is broken off IN the plug, you are OK. even if its in the plug, its nothing a reputable tv repair place couldn't rectify, or even yourself via tweezers.

GL!

*edit* this post got me a 6th star! woo hoo

Back